Black Crows are oldies?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
a local oldies station just played the Black Crows, then after the song said something like "that was the black crows on your oldies home...." THAT IS LESS THAN 2 YEARS OLD!

Is it really moving that fast? am I going to need gerital and a cane by 25, be in a nursing home by 30?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

a local oldies station just played the Black Crows, then after the song said something like "that was the black crows on your oldies home...." THAT IS LESS THAN 2 YEARS OLD!

Is it really moving that fast? am I going to need gerital and a cane by 25, be in a nursing home by 30?

They're 'oldies' to newbies.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Each 10 AI posts adds a year to your effective life - you are 410 years old.

Seriously, I thought that oldies started when music was 20 years old - which almost makes Nirvana eligible.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    The "Black Crows" aren't oldies, because there's no such band... but the Black Crowes might be, since their most popular song was released 18 years ago.

But I hate the term "oldies" used in reference to anything but 1950's and 1960's bubblegum pop. Surely "classic rock" is a better descriptive of the Crowes.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Pretty sad. "Classic" Rock is an idiotic term. It did help some critics to use that label to lambaste the bands that had long, overwrought jam sessions and solos. Those critics and younger listeners diverted to Disco, Punk or Death Metal.

I haven't listened to commercial radio in decades. I've either played my own music or listened to college radio. Thankfully, Philadelphia has a real Classical/Jazz station also.

So much has changed in the last few years and I think some owners of radio stations will have to come to the realization that listeners want more variety and real DJs that can give them that choice.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    LOL I have no idea who the Black Crows are. I would be concerned though if Counting Crows was on Oldies.

I have been playing a bit of Guitar Hero 3 for Mac. I realised, most of the songs, I hate them. I can't believe this was all so cool back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I know some people would be offended by this. Of course, for me, Guns N Roses (Illusion 1 and 2 or something like that was OK). Rage Against The Machine (Bulls on Parade, another one from the first Matrix soundtrack), and Pearl Jam (a few selected ones)... those I like. But Pantera, Black Sabbath, other weird ones, I have no idea.

Bring me my euphoric/ uplifting/ vocal Trance...! Those bring back good, good memories for me, those are the "concerts" I remember. Pounding beats, energy-enveloping dancing, and excellent DJs. Eg. Tiesto in San Francisco in the early 00's... before he became massively big and I actually chatted (though drunkly) with his agent from the Nettwerk (Dutch) label.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

...the bands that had long, overwrought jam sessions and solos...

Like those on Guitar Hero 3 ??? Heh.