My iBook erased all of my data

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So I went to Ciricut City to see if they could fix my iBook but when I was almost home and I turned it on only to see that my iBook erased all of my data my iPhoto libary was gone my bookmars in Safari were gone and everlything was set back to the defualt it may have been the logic board (my iBook is the G3 Dual USB)or the hard drive. Any help?(Also note that it has Panther on it)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Perhaps a more accurate statement would be, "Circuit City erased a bunch of stuff on my iBook!"

The machine doesn't just spontaneously erase things (especially while it's off). SOMETHING was done to cause the stuff to be erased. Or possibly, the tech looking at it merely moved some files around, and now iPhoto can't FIND it's data, and Safari can't FIND the bookmarks data.

So the question becomes... what did the "tech" at Circuit City do to your iBook? (And why take it to Circuit City?... they don't even sell Macs.)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    DON'T use the ibook if you want to recover anything...

It was the tech that did it...

you will have to try and do a scan on the drive with a commercial utility & an external drive:

Data Rescue II from www.prosofteng.com or

File Salvage: www.subrosasoft.com
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Well the person said that they cant fix Macs so I went home and BOOM! no data
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Why did you want your iBook fixed in the first place?

What was the problem?

Did they do anything with your iBook? Did the touch it, looked around in your OS, or did they just see it and said "Sorry, we don't do Macs."?

For your bookmarks you can use Spotlight to look for them. Just type the name of your bookmark, click "Show all" and you can even sort for Safari bookmarks.

iPhoto: Spotlight> "iphoto library" > "Show all"
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Why did you want your iBook fixed in the first place?

What was the problem?

The opitcal drive did not close

Quote:

Did they do anything with your iBook? Did the touch it, looked around in your OS, or did they just see it and said "Sorry, we don't do Macs."?

No they did not do anything they said "Sorry we service Macs go to Frys they do"

Quote:

For your bookmarks you can use Spotlight to look for them. Just type the name of your bookmark, click "Show all" and you can even sort for Safari bookmarks.

iPhoto: Spotlight> "iphoto library" > "Show all"

Well I dont have Tiger on my iBook I have panther on it
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Did you by chance enter another user acct?

as far as safari, bookmarks are saved in /user/Library/Safari/bookmarks.plist

they are also stored in /user/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/Bookmarks
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

Did you by chance enter another user acct?

as far as safari, bookmarks are saved in /user/Library/Safari/bookmarks.plist

they are also stored in /user/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/Bookmarks

Well I got all my photos in iPhoto back but I cant get my bookmars back. And I only have 1 acct. on my iBook but Iused to have another one but I deleted it a long time ago