I just noticed....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just noticed I could use Time Machine to backup my Macbook Pro to a hard drive connected to my network. And here I was waiting for the release of Time Capsule.

I also just noticed(actually I noticed this a few days ago) I could access dvd/cd drives of other macs on my network. I've been watching Apocalypto from my iMac's super drive on my Macbook Pro. What really tripped my mind was I could watch Apocalypto on three different computers at the same time...

Anybody else notice this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I just noticed I could use Time Machine to backup my Macbook Pro to a hard drive connected to my network. And here I was waiting for the release of Time Capsule.

I also just noticed(actually I noticed this a few days ago) I could access dvd/cd drives of other macs on my network. I've been watching Apocalypto from my iMac's super drive on my Macbook Pro. What really tripped my mind was I could watch Apocalypto on three different computers at the same time...

Anybody else notice this?

How did u do the movie watching thing? I have an MBA and might be slightly interested in that
  • Reply 2 of 12
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

How did u do the movie watching thing? I have an MBA and might be slightly interested in that

File sharing.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

10.5.2 allows you to set CD/DVD Sharing in the Sharing Preference Pane.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    I Do you mean you can backup wirelessly to a hard drive that is connected to your network? I didn't thik you could do that? I thought Apple removed this option as it planned on releasing Time Capsule.

Or did they change that with 10.5.2?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    All I know is it says that.

Put a CD in one computer, enable CD sharing, and see if it shows up on the other computer.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    lundy, what you are talking about is Remote Disk. Where a remote optical disk can be shared with the MBA as if it was a local disk for system restores and such. (Can you boot off of the shared disk?)

What Postulant was referring to in his second paragraph is good old File Sharing. Right now I have a DVD in my Mini and it is being shared with two other computers. All three are playing the DVD at the same time. The Mini and one of the other computers are Tiger, and the remaining computer is Leopard.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

I Do you mean you can backup wirelessly to a hard drive that is connected to your network? I didn't thik you could do that? I thought Apple removed this option as it planned on releasing Time Capsule.

Changed in 10.5.2 - my MB backs up over the wireless network to the TM disk on the iMac, just browsed to it from the TM preferences pane and it worked. I assume they had to get it working for TC. Whichever, it works without any hacks, and it's good.

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by datamodel View Post

Changed in 10.5.2 - my MB backs up over the wireless network to the TM disk on the iMac, just browsed to it from the TM preferences pane and it worked. I assume they had to get it working for TC. Whichever, it works without any hacks, and it's good.

No, this has been available without hacks since 10.5.0. (I've been backing up my MBP to my iMac over the network since I upgraded both to Leopard.)
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

I've been doing this with two laptops (wirelessly) since the release of 10.5.0. What you can't do is to a disk on the Airport Extreme. Also, it didn't work for me until I upgraded my network machine to 10.5.0 (i.e. it wouldn't work if the shared disk was mounted on a 10.4.9 system ).
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by datamodel View Post

Cheers,

Martin.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palter View Post

No, this has been available without hacks since 10.5.0. (I've been backing up my MBP to my iMac over the network since I upgraded both to Leopard.)

@palter: I think the key word here is wirelessly. I too didn't hear anything about getting Time Machine to work with a NAS wired to a wireless router. Or does this work only with Airport Express/Extreme...whatever?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

@palter: I think the key word here is wirelessly. I too didn't hear anything about getting Time Machine to work with a NAS wired to a wireless router. Or does this work only with Airport Express/Extreme...whatever?

It doesn't work to anything except disks attached to a Leopard client or server machine. (At least, not without hacks.) Wired or wireless doesn't matter.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palter View Post

It doesn't work to anything except disks attached to a Leopard client or server machine. (At least, not without hacks.) Wired or wireless doesn't matter.

My mistake - I tried it with 10.5.0 with the disks attached to an AEBS, not the iMac. I'll wear the Muppet Hat.

Cheers,

Martin.