Massive Data Loss in 10.5.2!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi there,

I've heard a lot about this massive data loss bug from the original version of Leopard - you know, when you move (not copy) a folder from one volume to another, then click cancel before it has finished, and then "poof" it's disappeared in both locations.

Well, joy of joys, I am running 10.5.2 and this still seems to be a problem. I was moving my partner's iTunes Library from a PC DOS drive (plugged internally into my G4) to the local drive. Stupidly I chose "move" instead of "copy" but also decided to change my mind, cancel it and copy instead (ironically) for security purposes. And guess what, all the data went "poof" and it is now not on either drive.

Luckily for us, everything was backed up about a week ago. But this is still a pretty horrendous bug yes??

Is there any way to retrieve such data, or shall I just get the backed up files?

Is this a known bug? Should I inform Apple?

Thanks!

:-Joe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Hi there

Any takers? Has anyone else noticed this still to be a problem?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    How do you even "move" data between drives without initiating a "copy" action? I can understand move vs. copy on the same drive, but not between drives.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    You hold down the  Command key.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Well, joy of joys, I am running 10.5.2 and this still seems to be a problem. I was moving my partner's iTunes Library from a PC DOS drive (plugged internally into my G4) to the local drive. Stupidly I chose "move" instead of "copy" but also decided to change my mind, cancel it and copy instead (ironically) for security purposes. And guess what, all the data went "poof" and it is now not on either drive.

You knew those were the exact steps to recreating the problem and went ahead and did it anyway?

Luckily you had good backups!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You knew those were the exact steps to recreating the problem and went ahead and did it anyway?

Yes, that's right, I did it deliberately.

I did a move command, but then stupidly thought twice about it and decided to cancel and do a copy instead. I'd heard about a bug in 10.5.0 but didn't know the exact way in which the bug manifested itself.

You wouldn't expect to cancel a move and for the files to disappear completely, would you? If it was programmed correctly, a move would just be the same as a copy but with a delete of the original files if and when the copy has completely successfully. There is obviously still a serious bug.

Yeah you're right it's a good job I do backups. Just thought I'd warn people, that's all...