All you XP Users, Windows XP Service Pack 3 is now Publicly Available!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
You can download it HERE at Microsoft's site.

But before you do, look HERE.

Read the Apple Computers part (down in the middle of the page).

SP3 is compatible with Apple computers, but you have to follow those steps to make it work, otherwise you'll get an Error.

Just thought I'd give you all a heads up!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    It's an RC...I still wouldn't touch it :P lol knowing Microsoft it probably now has a new style of blue screen, maybe it's a purple one
  • Reply 2 of 10
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    wow, pretty nice of Microsoft to bother documenting that Boot Camp issue. I'm surprised they even bothered testing it on a mac!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

wow, pretty nice of Microsoft to bother documenting that Boot Camp issue. I'm surprised they even bothered testing it on a mac!

anything to make money
  • Reply 4 of 10
    So are there any heads up on this? How is SP3? new features, worth getting or not?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Its mostly just a roll-up of previous fixes. Only new "features" are as follows:

Network Access Protection compatibility. Announced years ago, this feature allows Windows XP machines to interact with the NAP feature in Windows Server 2008. This functionality is built into the RTM version of Windows Vista as well.

Product Key-less install option. As with Windows Vista, new XP with SP3 installs can proceed without entering a product key during Setup.

Kernel Mode Cryptographics Module. A new kernel module that "encapsulates several different cryptographic algorithms," according to Microsoft.

"Black hole" router detection algorithm. XP gains the ability to ignore network routers that incorrectly drop certain kinds of network packets. This, too, is a feature of Windows Vista.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post

Its mostly just a roll-up of previous fixes. Only new "features" are as follows:

Network Access Protection compatibility. Announced years ago, this feature allows Windows XP machines to interact with the NAP feature in Windows Server 2008. This functionality is built into the RTM version of Windows Vista as well.

Product Key-less install option. As with Windows Vista, new XP with SP3 installs can proceed without entering a product key during Setup.

Kernel Mode Cryptographics Module. A new kernel module that "encapsulates several different cryptographic algorithms," according to Microsoft.

"Black hole" router detection algorithm. XP gains the ability to ignore network routers that incorrectly drop certain kinds of network packets. This, too, is a feature of Windows Vista.

So I guess it's not worth it then? I read somewhere that with SP3 it would be faster than vista.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    dontlookleftdontlookleft Posts: 158member
    im reluctant to update my lap top.

any suggestions as to "yes do it" or "no wait a few days/months/years/decades?"
  • Reply 8 of 10
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    windows regardless of sp,is becoming less and less and less a consumer relevant, IBM is testing macbooks to see if they can as an enterprise get more apple centric. vista did this to MS and they should have made it right, MS has shot itself in the GROIN, enterprise (at least mine) won't TOUCH VISTA, so they don't care, xp is here to stay, if MS shuts the door on this then more and more will push away to linux, or mac.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    SP3 works and works well... They didn't really add much in it.

Just be sure to run software update before you install it. The latest Apple update involves SP3 and you should install it beforehand.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I just put XP Pro with SP3 slipstreamed into the install on my iMac via Fusion yesterday. It was surprisingly entirely painless. But it is still Windows... I doubt I'll use it much, but it's cool to have just in case.