Time Machine not plugged in

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hmmm, never noticed this before... Is it a new feature of 10.5.2?

[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER](noticed running on a MacBook)[/CENTER]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Hmmm, never noticed this before... Is it a new feature of 10.5.2?

[CENTER](noticed running on a MacBook)[/CENTER]

No it's been there since the start. Time machine will just sit there and say nothing for 10 days before it pops up a reminder. All you need to do is plug is in when ready and it will start the back up again.

Good if you just want to do a back up of your laptop once a week or something. If you leave it for a few days tho the backup can take a while and be stuck in "preparing" for a while.

I think timemachine does a check on the database it keeps of changed files and if it's been a while I think it does a manual check of all the files just to be safe.

I'm really liking Time machine, makes back up so easy. I just hope in 10.6 we get somekind of ZFS enhanced backup so we can do block level backups instead of file level ones. So the poor people using Entourage can be backed up too

P.S. nice looking screenshot
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tadunne View Post

No it's been there since the start. Time machine will just sit there and say nothing for 10 days before it pops up a reminder. All you need to do is plug is in when ready and it will start the back up again.

Really? Even with network drives? This is a message telling me to plug into the mains, not the drive. The drive is constantly available over the network. I just assumed this was something new because I was sure it would backup all the time even when I was not connected to the mains. I guessed it was something to stop backups from failing halfway through if you accidentally lost power.

Anyway whether it was there before or not, it's a welcome addition. Normally when doing a backup it tends to spin the fans up and use a lot of power. So it's nice to know it'll only try and backup when it's plugged in to the mains.

Quote:

P.S. nice looking screenshot

Thanks... These details are important
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Really? Even with network drives? This is a message telling me to plug into the mains, not the drive. The drive is constantly available over the network. I just assumed this was something new because I was sure it would backup all the time even when I was not connected to the mains. I guessed it was something to stop backups from failing halfway through if you accidentally lost power.

Time Machine never backs up a notebook running on battery power. This has been true since 10.5.0. (You'd find entries to that effect in the log.) It appears that mentioning this in the preference dialog is new as of 10.5.2.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Cool - so long as I'm not going mad then!