stereo system question...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ive got a question about shelf stereo systems. i have a Sharp stereo system in my room and i also found out that my parents have another pair of speakers that was with an old stereo in the basement, which doesnt turn on anymore. my idea was to see if i could use two pairs of speakers (4 speakers total) to connect to my sharp shelf stereo. would this blow out my stereo fuse or something? if u dont know what i mean my shelf stereo heres an example:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

any reply would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Short answer: Do not do this!

Medium answer: Even if it works, it will probably sound like ass. It also might either cause your system to shut down (if it is well designed) or catch fire (if it isn't).

Long answer: The amplifier in your stereo system has a harder time the lower the impedance of the speaker load is. Hooking up multiple speakers will change the impedance seen by the amplifier (in different ways depending on how you hook them up - series or parellel). If the total current output goes past the safety threshold for the amp, either safety circuits will shut things off, or it will start smoking. The different speakers will also have slightly different sounds (unless they are identical) and will sound wierd in concert.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    regreg Posts: 832member
    My son had taken a pair of Advent speakers from our old system to use on his (40 watt shelf) system. His system was not big enough to drive the speakers and the sound was okay at first. After about a month the speakers that came with the system started to crackle. He ended getting a better system for Christmas later that year.

One other consideration is the speaker cable. Some systems don't have a way of connecting other speakers unless you splice into the current cables. I would just stay with what you have and save for a better multi speaker system later.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Short answer: Do not do this!

Medium answer: Even if it works, it will probably sound like ass. It also might either cause your system to shut down (if it is well designed) or catch fire (if it isn't).

Long answer: The amplifier in your stereo system has a harder time the lower the impedance of the speaker load is. Hooking up multiple speakers will change the impedance seen by the amplifier (in different ways depending on how you hook them up - series or parellel). If the total current output goes past the safety threshold for the amp, either safety circuits will shut things off, or it will start smoking. The different speakers will also have slightly different sounds (unless they are identical) and will sound wierd in concert.

Relax. It depends on what he is connecting. I've connected multiple speakers to cheap systems, and it's fine as long as the speakers are not power hungry. In other words, if he's connecting similarly sized and spec'd speakers, it shouldn't really matter.

Now, if he's driving floor standing or large bookshelf speakers, yeah, now we have an issue. I really doubt there is going to be any smoking or explosions. It will just sound like shit. There will be no bass, and the sound will distort easily.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Relax. It depends on what he is connecting. I've connected multiple speakers to cheap systems, and it's fine as long as the speakers are not power hungry. In other words, if he's connecting similarly sized and spec'd speakers, it shouldn't really matter.

Now, if he's driving floor standing or large bookshelf speakers, yeah, now we have an issue. I really doubt there is going to be any smoking or explosions. It will just sound like shit. There will be no bass, and the sound will distort easily.

The speaker impediance curve doesn't really match up with the size of the speakers that well - there are really difficult speakers in both large and small sizes, and very easy speakers that weigh 1000 lbs (I have some myself).

If the speakers are labeled as '8 ohms', and his amp is speced to handle a 4 ohm load, then he will be fine - but most of these inexpensive systems only work with an 8 ohm load period because they are current limited. If he puts two sets of 8 ohm speakers in parallel (i.e. plugging two sets of speaker cables into the same output) he will end up with a 4 ohm load (or so, the actual load varies over the frequency). One possible solution would be to run the speakers in series to produce a 16 ohm load. I haven't much experience with cheap systems, maybe they deal with the situation by limiting the bass on purpose?

You can actually blow up an amp doing this - I have done it myself by accidentally shorting out a speaker wire. I also had an Denon receiver with a protection circuit that just shut itself off instead of catching fire.

If it was a tube amp, I would say do whatever you like - they are pretty indestructible, but solid state amps are more fragile - not only can they hurt themselves, but they can also harm the speakers if they hard clip.