Internet sharing question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
If I want to connect two macs that are isolated from pretty much everything, the most minimal way to do this, is I could use a crossover cable to connect them and then I could transfer information over ethernet.

My project is: I have an old G3 iBook 466 with an airport card (iBook connected to WiFi connected to Airport Base Station connected to cable modem, etc) and ethernet and an 840av with an ethernet tranceiver, no crossover cable (yet or maybe never). I want to connect the 840av to the internet and the file-sharing subnet (ie other computers) via connecting the 840av to the iBook and turn on Internet sharing in system preferences->sharing.

My Question is: Can I do this by connecting the 840av tranceiver to the iBook using a regular ethernet cat 5 cat 6 (WHATEVER) or do I have to use a crossover cable for this?

Thanks

and

Laters...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

If I want to connect two macs that are isolated from pretty much everything, the most minimal way to do this, is I could use a crossover cable to connect them and then I could transfer information over ethernet.

My project is: I have an old G3 iBook 466 with an airport card (iBook connected to WiFi connected to Airport Base Station connected to cable modem, etc) and ethernet and an 840av with an ethernet tranceiver, no crossover cable (yet or maybe never). I want to connect the 840av to the internet and the file-sharing subnet (ie other computers) via connecting the 840av to the iBook and turn on Internet sharing in system preferences->sharing.

My Question is: Can I do this by connecting the 840av tranceiver to the iBook using a regular ethernet cat 5 cat 6 (WHATEVER) or do I have to use a crossover cable for this?

Thanks

and

Laters...

I could be wrong, but I thought most Macs used Auto-MDIX and so did not require crossover cable. That is, they automatically switch between straight through and crossover as needed. The AV is so old, I am not sure, but the iBook I would think would handle the switching on it's end and so you would not need a crossover, assuming the MDIX switching on one end is enough. I can't remember enough to say for sure.

If you have some patch cable around, go ahead and try it and if the AV doesn't pick up an IP, then go spend the $7 and buy a length of crossover and give it a a try.