Should I buy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm sure this has been asked a billion times and I apologize...

I have a Dell PC that is 5+ years old and it is getting slower and slower...you get my drift. I am ready to buy a new computer and I am leaning towards the iMac 24 inch 2.4 G. I've been very happy with my Dell PCs; this is the second one I have and they both ran well, but I think it's time for a change.

I was looking at the new Gateway all in one, but it runs Windows Vista and I want to get away from Windows.

I'd appreciate opinions on the iMac that I'm looking at. At this point I'm ready to take a sledgehammer to the Dell I once loved so dearly.

Again I apologize for the redundancy of my post!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I think you would be extremely pleased with your purchase. Besides higher resolution, the 24-inchers are supposed to have higher-quality screens than the 20-inchers.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaybean View Post

I'm sure this has been asked a billion times and I apologize...

I have a Dell PC that is 5+ years old and it is getting slower and slower...you get my drift. I am ready to buy a new computer and I am leaning towards the iMac 24 inch 2.4 G. I've been very happy with my Dell PCs; this is the second one I have and they both ran well, but I think it's time for a change.

I was looking at the new Gateway all in one, but it runs Windows Vista and I want to get away from Windows.

I'd appreciate opinions on the iMac that I'm looking at. At this point I'm ready to take a sledgehammer to the Dell I once loved so dearly.

Again I apologize for the redundancy of my post!

I believe you're making a good move from PC's to a Mac. I've been using PC's for about 27 years and have taught DOS and MS Office. About 6 years ago I bought a Mac and love it. I still have to use PC's at the college where I teach, but I dislike them. I have two PC's at home where they are gathering dust. I haven't turned them on in over 4 years. I think the iMac 24" 2.4 G is a good choice. I'd prefer a mid-tower, but unfortunately, Apple hasn't seen fit to market one. I think the Mini would be another good choice, but adding memory, a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, etc. brings the cost up to around $1500 or more. Too much for that machine. Probably better to add a few bucks and get the 24" iMac. I'd suggest installing 4 GB of memory in it and have a great machine. OWC has a 4 GB memory kit for $100.

Good luck. Welcome to the Mac world and AppleInsider. We'll be looking for your posts after you've made the "great leap forward."