volume header needs minor repairs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay - my carbon version of Starcraft keeps quitting and someone mysteriously changed my startup disk to 9.2 from OS X. I ran the disk utility app and it found "volume header needs minor repairs." But it won't let me repair it (option is grayed out). What utility can I use to repair my volume headers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by gobble gobble:

<strong>Okay - my carbon version of Starcraft keeps quitting and someone mysteriously changed my startup disk to 9.2 from OS X. I ran the disk utility app and it found "volume header needs minor repairs." But it won't let me repair it (option is grayed out). What utility can I use to repair my volume headers?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have you tried fsck'ing your drive? (I've always wanted to say that). Restart your computer in OS X and hold down cmd+s right after it bongs. Wait for some text to appear then let go. This is single user mode. When you get a prompt type fsck -y and your disk will be repaired. If it finds errors, it will report them and repair them. You may need to issue the command more than once. Keep doing it until you get a message that drive is ok. Then type reboot at the prompt and let it restart. That should fix it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hmmm... that sounds scary to a guy with no programming experience. What exactly does that do and why can't I do that in the GUI?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Nothing scary about it. Fsck is a standard Unix command for cleaning up drive errors. I had the exact same problem you did and running fsck cleared it right up.

I don't know why there's no GUI way to run it ... maybe it doesn't work while the upper-level system stuff is running.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    The reason there is no GUI for it is that your harddrive has to be in read-only mode to repair it. You can't fsck a read-writeable drive. So if you've booted, it's too late to fsck.

Apple could implement a GUI fsck right at startup, but they are lazy.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Cool - I tried it and it seemed to work. When I first brought up single user mode it said "fsck not done." I don't know if it always says that or not. So I typed fsck -y and it repaired it. I ran it again and it found no errors. So I rebooted and all was well. Thanks much.

You'd think Apple would tell you how to do this and make it easy for the non-technical user, like me. But Unix seemed like fun. What flavor of Unix was that? Can anyone recommed a basic Unix programming book?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by gobble gobble:

<strong>Cool - I tried it and it seemed to work. When I first brought up single user mode it said "fsck not done." I don't know if it always says that or not. So I typed fsck -y and it repaired it. I ran it again and it found no errors. So I rebooted and all was well. Thanks much.

You'd think Apple would tell you how to do this and make it easy for the non-technical user, like me. But Unix seemed like fun. What flavor of Unix was that? Can anyone recommed a basic Unix programming book?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, it always says fsck not done when you boot into single user mode. I'm glad that it worked. As for unix books, I don't know. I've gotten nearly everything I know about unix off the internet. macosxhints.com gets my vote for the most informative, useful os x site on the internet. You should check it out. They've been around since the public beta and have loads of useful tips and comments for practically everything.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    [edit: nevermind. I thought my previous post didn't show up.]

[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jaybeejaybee Posts: 17member
    Hi there,

I was having the same issue with my imac G5 20" running 10.4.11

volume needs minor repair came up within disk utility...

I followed your advice and it worked fine... but... as soon as I entered single user mode one of my fans kicked in at full speed

according to istat pro they are running as follows

system 1240

cpu 1500

hard drive 1800

any idea what might have caused this and how I might solve it...

I can hardly hear myself think here...!!!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,339moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaybee View Post

I followed your advice and it worked fine... but... as soon as I entered single user mode one of my fans kicked in at full speed

That's normal. The fan control drivers won't be loaded so they can often kick in to maximum speed to prevent overheating. It doesn't always happen on all machines but it is common. A G5 with all 9 fans running at maximum is pretty loud. It goes back to normal after a reboot.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    As a note, you can use the install DVD to fix the boot disk but fsck is easier. YMMV.