More MacBook details: battery life claims, enviro push, more

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
When Apple revamped its MacBook and MacBook Pro lineups on Tuesday, the company also quietly changed its methods of reporting battery life and also made clear the eco-friendliness of the notebooks, among other changes.

Although first hinted at in its claimed 5 hours of use for the MacBook Air, Apple has now completely changed its approach to measuring battery life with the introduction of the new MacBook lineup.

Instead of reporting the theoretical peak battery life of each system -- a method sometimes criticized for its at times unrealistic conditions -- Apple now bases the figures supplied for all its notebooks on a "wireless productivity" test. The benchmark assumes a user is browsing various websites on Wi-Fi with the screen set to half brightness. In these conditions, the 15-inch MacBook Pro achieves 5 hours of use, while both the 17-inch MacBook Pro and the regular MacBook run for up to 4.5 hours.

This explains why battery life has, at least superficially, gone down despite Penryn's power improvements over the previous generation. Apple press spokesman Anuj Nayar has informed Ars Technica that, if anything, performance has gone up: previous models often expired sooner in the same conditions.

Apple has in the past regularly conducted three different tests to determine how the notebook runs under ideal, moderate, and extreme conditions, Nayar adds. Previous claims always cited the light-duty "highway test," which was allegedly confusing to users. The wireless productivity test splits the balance between this and a DVD playback test, which is often considered one of the hardest tests thanks to its taxing the energy-hungry DVD drive, CPU, and video hardware.

The new metric is not the only undocumented change by the Mac maker, which also notes that its new systems should be more environmentally friendly than old models -- though not as clean as demanded by Greenpeace and other activist groups. Apple describes the "majority" of either system's circuit boards and internal cabling as free of toxic brominated flame retardants (BFRs) and PVC plastic. In his open letter, company chief Steve Jobs said he hoped Apple would completely eliminate both materials from Macs by the end of this year.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro's new LED-backlit option does continue to meet self-imposed goal of moving to mercury-free displays, though the default display uses a mercury-based cold-cathode fluorescent (CCFL) screen.

Other changes known to have been made to the systems are subtle, but worth noting. Buyers of the 13.3-inch MacBook may be disappointed to learn that the new processors, while faster overall, represent a step backwards in terms of their onboard memory cache: the earlier 2GHz and 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo processors carried 4MB of Level 2 cache, while the new models sport only 3MB each.

Also, Apple has for the first time supplied different versions of Bluetooth with its notebooks: the MacBook Pro supports the more recent 2.1 version of the wireless technology, which permits a far simpler pairing process as well as better security and power use. Standard MacBooks continue to use Bluetooth 2.0. No explanation has been given by Apple for the difference.

Prospective buyers of either system might be disappointed to know that the Apple Remote is now a $19 option for both systems rather than a standard, pack-in feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    I just ordered the 17" with LED backlit high res screen and the 7200 rpm 200 GB drive - the LED backlight was my biggest wish, so: thanks Apple.

Another thing worth mentioning: Apple has adjusted (at least some) of the international prices. My order was roughly 400 EUR (595 USD) cheaper today than the "old" model was yesterday. That is basically: free AppleCare or the biggest part of a 1 TB Time Capsule. This was a great day
  • Reply 2 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I can't wait to hear the ranting and ravings about the "Apple" is screwing "us" on the L2 Cache.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I just ordered the 17" with LED backlit high res screen and the 7200 rpm 200 GB drive - the LED backlight was my biggest wish, so: thanks Apple.

Hasn't LED backlit available on the 17" MBPs as an option for awhile now?
  • Reply 3 of 78
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    What do you think of the LED displays?

When I was looking at the macbook air a few days ago, I noticed it has about a 3 degree view angle??? Move your head a few inches left or right, especially up and down, and the color/brightness shifts big time.

Based on what i've seen in the Macbook Air, LED displays are useless to any creative professionals.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    5 hours. LOL.

My 2.33 ghz MBP has NEVER gotten 3 hours. Not once. The typical operating time is 2 hours. 1.5, if things are heavy.

That's on a new (<1 year old) machine in typical "power user" tasks... such as web browsing, iTunes, and obviously using some backlight as well, in order to see properly.

5 hours is a complete load of crap. Nowhere near reality.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Another thing worth mentioning: Apple has adjusted (at least some) of the international prices. My order was roughly 400 EUR (595 USD) cheaper today than the "old" model was yesterday. That is basically: free AppleCare or the biggest part of a 1 TB Time Capsule. This was a great day

Speaking of which, where is Time Capsule? Has it shipped yet? It better not get a push back like the SDK...
  • Reply 6 of 78
    From Apple's web site:

LED backlit displays

Both 15-inch MacBook Pro models feature power-saving, LED backlit widescreen displays. And now you can even configure the 17-inch model with the ultimate creative canvas ? 1920 by 1200 pixels with LED backlighting.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

while faster overall, represent a step backwards in terms of their onboard memory cache: the earlier 2GHz and 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo processors carried 4MB of Level 2 cache, while the new models sport only 3MB each.

The tragedy is they will complain - ignoring the result in favour of the theory. We've become a bunch of PC spec-monkeys!!

Any news on when OSX will actually use SSE4?

McD
  • Reply 8 of 78
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

5 hours. LOL.

My 2.33 ghz MBP has NEVER gotten 3 hours. Not once. The typical operating time is 2 hours. 1.5, if things are heavy.

That's on a new (<1 year old) machine in typical "power user" tasks... such as web browsing, iTunes, and obviously using some backlight as well, in order to see properly.

5 hours is a complete load of crap. Nowhere near reality.

In college, I had a 5-hour block of classes. I basically had 4 hours of uptime (there were large breaks in between the classes) I was still able to get back to my room with 10-15% of battery left if I turned off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and dimmed the screen. I have a 1.33 PB G4, and although those restrictions might seem like a pain, they were prefect for keeping me paying attention in class.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

The tragedy is they will complain - ignoring the result in favour of the theory. We've become a bunch of PC spec-monkeys!!

hehehe
  • Reply 10 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

When I was looking at the macbook air a few days ago, I noticed it has about a 3 degree view angle??? Move your head a few inches left or right, especially up and down, and the color/brightness shifts big time.

Based on what i've seen in the Macbook Air, LED displays are useless to any creative professionals.

I've written 9 tv scripts, three features. half a novel and lots of pitches and bibles since August when I got my 15" MBP with an LED. If that constitutes being a "creative professional," then the LED's work just fine.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    Apple's Bluetooth 2.1 implementation is missing the NFC reader, so it isn't that exciting.

I want touch-to-pair!!!
  • Reply 12 of 78
    The two biggest piles of BS in the computer word is Battery Life and Hard Disk size. 5 hours in real life use = 3 hours tops and a 200 GB HD is really about 175. I know the Bites thing but it's just another twist. I mean at this point with hard drives being so big why not just say 175GB? We'd buy still buy it.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't wait to here the ranting and ravings about the "Apple" is screwing "us" on the L2 Cache.

But you don't understand! In Final Cut Pro on my macbook with 4mb L2 cache with 256mb ram an hdv render took 8 hours!!!

Now with 3mb L2 cache with 256mb ram that same render is taking a staggering 11 days!!

Apple has screwed me right in the a***ole!
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Didnt see in the article, but Apple removed the Apple Remote from the default set. If you want it you can buy it for $20 if you want.. Not a big thing, just wanted to notify you..
  • Reply 15 of 78
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

But you don't understand! In Final Cut Pro on my macbook with 4mb L2 cache with 256mb ram an hdv render took 8 hours!!!

Now with 3mb L2 cache with 256mb ram that same render is taking a staggering 11 days!!

Apple has screwed me right in the a***ole!

What am I missing here? Where did this data come from? Why do you only have 256 MB of Ram? And why are you trying put 10 lbs. of potatoes in a a 5 pound sack? Don't you know you are supposed to use a Mac Pro for HD video rendering?
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't wait to here the ranting and ravings about the "Apple" is screwing "us" on the L2 Cache.

Hasn't LED backlit available on the 17" MBPs as an option for awhile now?

There has been a high res and a glossy option for the previous 17" - the highres option being LED is new. My GF has the 15" with LED and I have been dying to get that in the 17".
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

The LED displays are gorgeous - instant on, no colour-shifts during warm-up, wider gamut, no need to re-calibrate every other week, longer life-time... and less power consumption and less dangerous materials used as a bonus. Nothing not to like about them as far as I can see.

You may check Rob Galbraith - http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-8741-9027 if I am not creative enough

Have not seen a MBA in person yet - so I cannot compare, definitely no problems with my GFs 15" MBP. You will see some blue shifts at extreme angles, but that is a general feature of LED displays. At the same extreme angles any CCFL backlit display will show much more severe colour shifts.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heymike2 View Post

From Apple's web site:

LED backlit displays

Both 15-inch MacBook Pro models feature power-saving, LED backlit widescreen displays. And now you can even configure the 17-inch model with the ultimate creative canvas ? 1920 by 1200 pixels with LED backlighting.

From MBP Tech Specs...

Quote:

15.4-inch (diagonal) antiglare widescreen TFT LED backlit display with support for millions of colors; optional glossy widescreen display

I'm a little confused though because I haven't heard anything else about this (besides the quoted post and the page I just mentioned).

Isn't LED supposed to be a big deal? Seems like if this feature is for real it would have been touted a bit more. I'm even more confused because it's being touted as an option on the 17" model. I just bought the new 15" MBP and can't find that feature on any of the receipts, none of the rumor sites... nothing. Just thought I'd put that out there and see what others know. Thanks.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thelocalshredder View Post

Isn't LED supposed to be a big deal? Seems like if this feature is for real it would have been touted a bit more. I'm even more confused because it's being touted as an option on the 17" model. I just bought the new 15" MBP and can't find that feature on any of the receipts, none of the rumor sites... nothing. Just thought I'd put that out there and see what others know. Thanks.

The LED feature has been discussed ad nauseam when the last line of MBPs was released and is standard in all 15" models and the MBA. Anything that is standard will not be listed on a receipt. Nothing has changed about the 15" displays, the only news here is that one can optionally order the high resolution display with LED backlight for the 17" model. So, nothing to worry about.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    if only Apple took all environmental issues so seriously...

WHY does the packing for third-party Apple Licensed products (e.g. cases, iTrips, software etc) have to be so excessive?

Does a rubber ipod case need to be contained in thick cardboard and plastic packaging yet the ipod itself comes in a tiny cardboard box?!

Apple has the power to dictate to the third party manufacturers (which it licenses) to ensure that they comply with Apple's own environmental policy. And if they don't comply, they shouldn't stock it. The manufacturers will soon full their fingers out...