Second DSLR

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm hoping to purchase my second DSLR in the next few weeks or so. I'm now using the Nikon D50 and I want to spend $3000 for the body and extra lens. Someone please help me out with this and give me some feedback. Should I stuck on Nikon's & Canon's. Which will be the better deal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gabriel.Dog View Post

I'm hoping to purchase my second DSLR in the next few weeks or so. I'm now using the Nikon D50 and I want to spend $3000 for the body and extra lens. Someone please help me out with this and give me some feedback. Should I stuck on Nikon's & Canon's. Which will be the better deal?

Uhm, with that amount of spending, shouldn't you do some research yourself, try out some models, read some reviews??

At the very least you will need to specify your question a bit more if you want any meaningfull responses here...

What kind of photography are you into? What kind of lenses fit that? Is your hard- and software adequate? Would you like to get into using prime lenses?

I'm a canon user myself (digital rebel), aperture 2.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    This is a good site for digital camera information.

www.dpreview.com
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

This is a good site for digital camera information.

www.dpreview.com

I'm a Sony/Minolta person and I lust after the Alpha 700, but I think the Nikon D300 is also an incredible camera.

In your price range I'd check out the Nikon D300, the Alpha 700 and the Canon 40D, and send what's left in your budget on the best flash for your gear and a nice lens or two. Don't forget the flash! Built-in flashes are useless.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'm a Sony/Minolta person and I lust after the Alpha 700, but I think the Nikon D300 is also an incredible camera.

In your price range I'd check out the Nikon D300, the Alpha 700 and the Canon 40D, and send what's left in your budget on the best flash for your gear and a nice lens or two. Don't forget the flash! Built-in flashes are useless.

Just talked to a guy with a 40D -- makes my 20D from two years ago shrivel.

All the same, it just doesn't seem like you can go wrong if you are in that price range.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Take a look at the just-released Pentax K20d. Great camera, and Pentax glass is a great deal for the $.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gabriel.Dog View Post

D80, D200, D300 are all very capable bodies, to say the least. i was in a similar dilemma a few months ago. well, i didn't have a budget as big as you do. so what did i do? recently, i got a D80 - the prices have dropped like crazy since the D300 was announced & you get good deals from adorama, beachcamera & cameta camera on amazon.com.

& the $500-$1000 i saved by not buying a D200 or D300, i can invest in good Nikkor lenses.

it's been reiterated time & again that good lenses have much more contribution towards good images rather than newest bodies & i swear by it.

i have used the D80 & D200 & for my level of shooting skills (or lack of it, FWIW), i did not perceive much of a difference - i was equally comfortable handling either.

sure, the D300 & D3 are "smarter" & offer newer features, but that doesn't exactly make the other models any dumber! i haven't had a chance to handle the D300, but from what reviews i have read (ken rockwell, dpreview, tom hogan) i know that they kick ass. but would i be unhappy with my D80 - hell no! i even lug around my cybershot (DSC-H9) as a second camera.

so walk into a store, check out the deals, handle the bodies yourself & see which one fits you - in terms of shooting style as well as handling, grip & stability.

i guess that's the best way to get to a decision!

so good luck & let us know what you have decided!