Trouble With Mac Mail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello All,

I am running OSX 10.3.9 on my desktop G4 Quicksilver and have been having major problems with my Mail application.

When new e-mail comes in I can't view the messages and get a prompt telling me...

The message from "tom koehl" <[email protected]> concerning ?RE: BLUE Yearbook? has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it.

Periodically I have had this problem in the past, but a clean up of my webmail servers inbox usually took care of things. Since this past weekend, however, I have not been able to view any incoming mail messages.

Likewise, for over a year now I get the same prompt when I try to look at messages in my "Sent Mail" folder.

Ironically, the Mail application works fine on my laptop, a 667MHz G4 Titanium running OSX 10.4.10.

Is anyone here aware of any viruses, incompatibilities, or other issues that might be causing this problem?

Is there a way I can uninstall and then re-install Mac Mail on the desktop to see if the problem is resolved?

Unfortunately, the G4 desktop was bought used from a colleague and I don't think I have any of the OS discs.

Do you think taking the machine to a Mac repair outfit and having them install a newer OS would resolve the issue?

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers,

S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Why in the World would you suspect that a virus has infected your computer? There are no MacOS X viruses. If there were, then why do you think that you would be its first victim?

Have you sent an email with the subject line: BLUE Yearbook? If you have not, then your account has received a SPAM message. Your ISP's mail server is having trouble with it. My suggestion is to use your ISP's webmail client to delete the offending SPAM. If you cannot delete it, then bring it to the attention of technical support.

The takeaway message is that messing up your computer cannot possibly help because the problem is not on your computer.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Mr. Me,

I know there are no (or few) viruses for Mac OSX.

But the problem is that ALL my incoming mail gives me the same prompt message on the desktop, but yet everything is still working fine on the laptop.

I just yesterday upgraded my webmail server with my host provider, made sure all the settings on both machines are identical, and yet still have the problem on the desktop only.

Any suggestions?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Cleaning out my e-mail server completely seemed to resolve the issue of the incoming mail, which I can now view on the desktop computer.

However, I still get the same prompt when I try to view my sent mail, and there is all of one sent message in that folder.

Any ideas as to why I may be having this problem?

Thanks for any feedback.