Gray Screen Of Death

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I decided to update my G4/533 to 10.1 today. After restarting from OS 9 and booting with the 10.1 installer CD I first used it to reset the password of the various OSX accounts on the machine. I then proceeded to install the standard 10.1 update without any problem. After the installation was finished it counted down about 30 seconds and restarted. On startup there is the happy Mac icon in the center of the screen and the spinning rainbow beachball (SRB) in the upper left corner. After about 20 seconds the screen changes to gray followed by 45-60 seconds of HD activity followed by... nothing.

I've tried:

Holding down Option while booting.

\tWith no bootable CD inserted the only choice is the unpartitioned HD that has \tboth OS 9 & 10 installed on it. Selecting and continuing leads to the Gray Screen Of \tDeath? (GSOD) again. If the 10.1 CD is inserted it shows up as a choice. The OS 9 CD does \tnot.

Booting from the OS 9 CD (while holding down the C key).

\tIt boots to OS 10 from the HD with the SRB followed by the GSOD. The OS 9 CD is never \trecognized.

Booting from the 10.1 installer CD and running the disk utility included on it.

\tNo problems found.

Booting from the HD while holding down Command-S.

\tIt boots to console. fsck -y finds no problems. I ran it twice just to be sure.

Any ideas on what I should do next?