Safari choppy after 10.5.2 ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Been having a weird issue lately and wondered if anybody else was seeing the same thing.

I haven't found a particular pattern yet, but sometimes when browsing, Safari almost gets kind of choppy. By choppy, I mean that there are slight delays in things.

I notice it when playing videos on any site (youtube, break.com, etc.) What it looks like is that the video frame rate is very low, kinda like it's skipping a little bit.

I also notice it when scrolling through a webpage. Like before, it's as if the frame rate is low, and it kinda skips instead of nice fluid scrolling like normal.

To fix it, all I have to do is quit Safari, and re-launch it. Everything then works perfectly for a while.

I don't have a lot of applications running in the background. Usually just little things like iChat, iTunes, Mail, and doing things in iLife.

As far as taking the update, as I mentioned in another thread, I was having issues after the 10.5.2 update, so I wiped the drive, installed from scratch and took all the updates. So it's a clean install.

I thought it might be happening if Safari is running when I put the iMac to sleep, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Could one of the apps you mentioned be accessing the network. Most of the time I noticed Safari having slow downloads ITunes is doing a maximum podcast download. Safari speeds up when iTunes is done.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I could have absolutely nothing but Safari running, and Safari will still experience the problems described above. No rationalization, nothing obvious.

I thought maybe Time Machine running through it's backup could be the culprit, but it's not making any difference.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ros3ntanros3ntan Posts: 201member
    maybe internet connection...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Definitely not the connection. We're talking fully loaded web pages, and fully loaded video's. I can start downloading a video on YouTube, hit pause, wait for it to completely finish, hit start, and I've still got the low frame rate. It's definitely a graphics issue.

But like I said, all I need to do is Quit Safari and relaunch, and we're good. Works fine
  • Reply 5 of 8
    deimosdeimos Posts: 11member
    I had issues with my MacBook Pro too after upgrading to 10.5.2 and after calling Apple tech support, I was advised to stay away from this update and to just "wait for 10.5.3 which should be out soon..."

The rep made it seem that Apple is aware of the issues in 10.5.2 and should have 10.5.3 out soon, but who knows.

I also had a thread going at the genious section which didn't get much response, lol. But if you want to read about the issues I was having before doing the archive then install option from the Leopard disk (which did fix the issues and made my Mac perform LOADS better), the thread is http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=85171
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbradley67 View Post

Thoughts?

It may be a combination of the 10.5.2 update with the amount of memory in your system (temporary fix by relaunching Safari is suggesting just that). How much memory do you actually have?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    tri3tri3 Posts: 20member
    Safari worked quite normally up until recently. For a few days now, I am experiencing difficulty with website loads. The website loads are taking much longer than usual.

OS is 10.5.2 and Safari is 3.0.4

Has there been any other reports of a similar nature?

I am working on a Mac Book Pro with 2 gigs, which should be plenty of power.

I also notice that Airport is scanning a lot. Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    tri3tri3 Posts: 20member
    I did the following and it seemed to fix my problem.

Adding the OpenDNS DNS server addresses (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) to Network Preferences > Advanced > DNS.

Not sure what the heck this does, but I am able to load web pages about as fast as I was before the problem occurred.

I found out that the DNS server addresses are from the opendns service.

http://www.opendns.com/