System Prefs (Question mark on icon in dock)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
With no apparent changes to the system, all of a sudden I can no longer access the system prefs either from the dock (where the icon has a question mark) nor from the menu. Will someone point me in the right direction for a fix ... I've rebooted to no avail. I switched to another user with admin control and that user also has no systems prefs access.

Thanks for help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

With no apparent changes to the system, all of a sudden I can no longer access the system prefs either from the dock (where the icon has a question mark) nor from the menu. Will someone point me in the right direction for a fix ... I've rebooted to no avail. I switched to another user with admin control and that user also has no systems prefs access.

Thanks for help.

I think the question mark means that the alias/icon in the dock can't find the SP file. Look in Applications for System Preferences and try to open it there. If it's not there, you may have to reinstall your current OS or upgrade it. I started having the same problem. Items couldn't be accessed from the Apple Logo Menu and, in some cases, from the dock.

What OS are you using?

When I upgraded to Tiger, everything was back in place and I could access everything again.

Welcome to AppleInsider. You'll probably get more answers tomorrow from other AI members. You've come to the right place for help. These AI members rock.