Help me with Handbrake, Please

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm going on the road, and need a couple of episodes of Heroes to take with me on my iPod Touch.

I am using Handbrake to grab the episodes that I want, from my dvd (purchased legally).

When I get done with Handbrake, iTunes won't let me use it on my iPod. To get it to my iPod, I need to run it thru iSquint after ripping it with Handbrake. Why do I need to do that? Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    are you using the presets?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post

are you using the presets?

Yep - I'm using the one for the iPod.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I'm going on the road, and need a couple of episodes of Heroes to take with me on my iPod Touch.

I am using Handbrake to grab the episodes that I want, from my dvd (purchased legally).

When I get done with Handbrake, iTunes won't let me use it on my iPod. To get it to my iPod, I need to run it thru iSquint after ripping it with Handbrake. Why do I need to do that? Am I doing something wrong?

Handbrake can't rip some DVDs. I couldn't rip Ratatouille. I'll bet Heros is the same.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    nevermind...different problem.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    so it takes two steps?... time to try out "Automator" or AppleScript
  • Reply 6 of 13
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

so it takes two steps?... time to try out "Automator" or AppleScript

OK, I just wasn't sure if it really took two steps. That's alright with me, but it seems a little silly.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    It SHOULDN'T need two steps... and most of my DVD's have managed fine with Handbrake alone, but occasionally I run into a (newer) one that needs to be stripped by MacTheRipper first. And ONE (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) that I haven't been successful with at all.

But 99% of my collection was playable after running through Handbrake using the presets. Pretty good for a donation-based program done by people that probably have day-jobs.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Is Handbrake as slow as it seems to me?

It looks like a DVD I have is going to take about 2 + hours to convert. Is that seem right?

Should I be using "Normal" as the setting for converting to be able to watch in iTunes?

Skip
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

It looks like a DVD I have is going to take about 2 + hours to convert. Is that seem right?

Should I be using "Normal" as the setting for converting to be able to watch in iTunes?

Skip

I do two passes, so it takes about 2.5hrs to encode a 2 hr DVD for me. (2.16 C2D MBP)
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Skip

The speed depends a lot on the CPU. My 2.16 C2D iMac will rip a DVD in just a little less than the playing time ... (using the AppleTV preset - .h264 and 2500 bitrate.)

.h264 is a pretty complex algorithm... you can speed it up by going with straight mp4 rather than h264 ... and of course by lowering the bitrate (at a loss of quality).
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

The speed depends a lot on the CPU. My 2.16 C2D iMac will rip a DVD in just a little less than the playing time ... (using the AppleTV preset - .h264 and 2500 bitrate.)

.h264 is a pretty complex algorithm... you can speed it up by going with straight mp4 rather than h264 ... and of course by lowering the bitrate (at a loss of quality).

Are you doing a single pass? If so is the quality ok?

I use the same bitrate but my encoding takes longer. Although I have a MBP it should take about the same time as I have the same cpu as you have in your iMac.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    That was single pass... 2500 bitrate looks as good as DVD on a 46".

1500 bitrate gave a LOT of artifacting on dark areas... big blocky chunks of different shades of black.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

That was single pass... 2500 bitrate looks as good as DVD on a 46".

1500 bitrate gave a LOT of artifacting on dark areas... big blocky chunks of different shades of black.

Cool I've been doing two passes and I'm happy with the quality. But it takes a while.