Apple's iPhone SDK sees 100,000 downloads in four days

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple said Wednesday that more than 100,000 iPhone developers have downloaded the beta iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK) in the first four days since its launch on March 6.

The iPhone SDK provides developers with the same rich set of Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and tools that Apple uses to create its native applications for iPhone and iPod touch.

"Developer reaction to the iPhone SDK has been incredible with more than 100,000 downloads in the first four days," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Also, over one million people have watched the launch video on Apple.com, further demonstrating the incredible interest developers have in creating applications for the iPhone.?

Last Thursday, Apple also previewed the new App Store, a way for developers to wirelessly deliver their applications to every iPhone and iPod touch user. Developers set the price for their applications?including free?and retain 70 percent of all sales revenues.

Leading developers such as AOL, Electronic Arts, Epocrates, salesforce.com and Sega have already demonstrated applications using the SDK, and developer response continues to be strong with more developers embracing the platform, according to Apple.

"Apple?s become an important mobile game platform with the iPhone SDK," said Jason Kapalka, co-founder and Chief Creative Officer, PopCap. "The new SDK gives us the tools to innovate and reinvent games like Bejeweled, Zuma and Peggle. With the new App Store we can reach every iPhone and iPod touch user on the planet."

The free beta iPhone SDK is available immediately worldwide and can be downloaded at Apple's developer website. The iPhone Developer Program will initially be available in the US and will expand to other countries in the coming months, Apple said.

A QuickTime video of the iPhone roadmap event remains available here, in both standard and high-definition formats.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Plus one non developer ... just to play with the Mac Virtualized iPhone
  • Reply 2 of 48
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    There may have been 100,000 downloads, but I suspect there are not 100,000 developers.

There appear to be a lot of 'non' developers who have registered and downloaded the software based on the comments in the Apple discussion forums.

Many thought it would give them something for the iPhone right now!

Ian
  • Reply 3 of 48
    "The iPhone Developer Program will initially be available in the US and will expand to other countries in the coming months, Apple said."

Does this mean that UK iPhone users are going to have to wait even longer for the software?
  • Reply 4 of 48
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
  • Reply 5 of 48
    memaz8memaz8 Posts: 1member
    come on developers!!! Create a perfect apps.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Man, Phil Schiller's moles are really visible in HD!

- he should get those seen to if they're going to be doing more of this HD stuff!

• Reply 7 of 48
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pressmeister View Post

"The iPhone Developer Program will initially be available in the US and will expand to other countries in the coming months, Apple said."

Does this mean that UK iPhone users are going to have to wait even longer for the software?

No, you can download the SDK in the UK now.

What you can't do yet is sign up for the $99 iPhone Developer Program, it is that which is USA only at the moment.

Come June all iPhone users will get V2.0 of the software.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pressmeister View Post

Of course you can download and use the software.

As Apple has clearly outlined, http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/ "The iPhone Developer Program will initially be available to a limited number of developers in the U.S. and will expand to other countries in the coming months."

In other words, you can do points 1 and 2, i.e., develop and test, right now. For No. 3, i.e, distrubte, will have to wait for a while.

Note that the iPhone Developer Program "will initially be available to a limited number of developers" (even) "in the U.S." at first.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member
    And his typical conclusions in the face of Apple upticks: Clearly this sort of activity can only mean that the iPhone is days away from it's demise and Apple will be bought by Xerox - no, ATT - no, Sony - no, I mean Pepsi... oh wait - Revlon...
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

What you can't do yet is sign up for the $99 iPhone Developer Program, it is that which is USA only at the moment.

That really Ps me off: I'm in Australia. Midway through GL game dev and would love to test/release for iPhone/iPod Touch too. Perfect target machine (very powerful), app store perfect way to get SW in-front of the (potential) customer, 70% cut very nice.

Come-on Apple, deal the non-USA devs in SOON!
  • Reply 11 of 48
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Come June all iPhone users will get V2.0 of the software.

Any mention of existing iPhone owners getting V2.0 as a free udate or not?
  • Reply 12 of 48
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeroenhmg View Post

That really Ps me off: I'm in Australia. Midway through GL game dev and would love to test/release for iPhone/iPod Touch too. Perfect target machine (very powerful), app store perfect way to get SW in-front of the (potential) customer, 70% cut very nice.

Well, settle down. I tried to sign up to pay them $99 (I'm in the US) and my application is "pending". They are apparently taking a very limited set of developers right now. I assume as the 2.0 builds start to get more stable and secure they'll roll it out to increasingly larger audiences.

Of course, I haven't done much Mac development in a long time (haven't attended WWDC since 2000 and my biggest claim to fame since then is some Quartz Composer work), so I'm certainly not on the top of their list.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    They've said that iPhone users get it free, iPod Touch users get it for a 'nominal' fee.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Any mention of existing iPhone owners getting V2.0 as a free udate or not?

This was stated at the introduction... 2.0 will be free for iPhone owners and cost a "nominal fee" for iTouch owners.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeroenhmg View Post

Calm down man.

There is no reason you can't be developing and testing now. As already posted, the iPhone Developer Program is not even available for all US developers yet.

Perhaps Apple realizes that there will be an onslaught of downloads, (actually over 100,000 in the first 4 days alone) and has a strategy to handle it. Anyway, the iPhone App Store won't be open until June. So instead of whimpering about what isn't even here yet, spend time developing.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

But you can't sell software unless you're a US developer and you can't give it away as Apple hold the keys to the store, and they've also got to like your software and fit their business model.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

But you can't sell software unless you're a US developer and you can't give it away as Apple hold the keys to the store, and they've also got to like your software and fit their business model.

Apple aren't allowing anyone to sell or give it away until June

- so what's the problem?
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Steve Ballmer's reaction : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEQhhaJsU4
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

Steve Ballmer's reaction : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEQhhaJsU4

Jesus - that man's annoying!

- Rich but annoying!

• Reply 20 of 48
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

There may have been 100,000 downloads, but I suspect there are not 100,000 developers.

There appear to be a lot of 'non' developers who have registered and downloaded the software based on the comments in the Apple discussion forums.

Many thought it would give them something for the iPhone right now!

Ian

Certainly this is true, but the article below has this quote:

"Executives at venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers had a running bet as they announced a $100 million fund to encourage developers to build tools for Apple's (AAPL) iPhone. The wager was over how many business plans they'd receive in the first 30 days after the Mar. 6 announcement. Kleiner Perkins partner Matt Murphy won't divulge the number, but says it was exceeded within 36 hours."

So there is a lot of interest, at least in the venture capital money and iPhone app development.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...mpaign_id=yhoo