Handbrake: One file for iTouch + AppleTV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I use Handbrake to rip my DVDs for personal use. I originally ripped part of my collection in anticipation of getting an AppleTV. Now I have an iPod touch.

Unfortunately, most of the mp4 files I ripped from my DVD's won't transfer to my iPod. When I attempt to do so, iTunes tells me it can't. The files that I can't transfer were encoded with the "AppleTV" setting. The files that I can transfer were encoded with the default setting of the previous version of Handbrake.

What I'd like to know is what setting I can use to rip my DVD's so that they'll work both on an AppleTV and an iPod Touch/iPhone. I don't want to maintain one file for each hardware, since that will use up twice as much disk space.

Any ideas?

Disclaimer: I'm ripping these files exclusively for my own personal use, and will not share them with anyone else.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    The iPod setting will work on the aTV, but the aTV setting uses too big a resolution to work on an iPod.

If you have a smaller screen it's not so bad, but with large screens, the iPod files can start to look pretty bad.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The iPod setting will work on the aTV, but the aTV setting uses too big a resolution to work on an iPod.

If you have a smaller screen it's not so bad, but with large screens, the iPod files can start to look pretty bad.

Handbrake needs an iPod Touch setting, right?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    The Handbrake forums have a lot of info on this matter. The bottom line is that you need to encode for the highest common denominator, which is the ipod. There have been several charts published on the forums which might be helpful, and great deal of discussion for encoding for multiple devices.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Handbrake needs an iPod Touch setting, right?

iPhone has the same res/capablities... just use the iPhone preset.