time machine progress pop up window

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent the time machine progress backup pop up window from coming up? Sure gets annoying every hour when I am trying to do work and it pops up on the screen.

thanks

DD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I am actually trying to have Time Machine show a tiny progress dialog, which I saw only once some time ago. Hopefully this dialog stops me from shutting down my MacBook while TM is backing up :-)

Could that be the pop up you're referring to?

I have the TM preference "Show Time Machine status in the menu bar" enabled. Maybe that's why I cannot find a way to make the popup dialog show. However, disabling this option does not make it show either...

So: do you have "Show Time Machine status in the menu bar" enabled? If not, maybe enabling it helps to hide the pop up. And if anyone knows how to show the pop up: please tell me the secret ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palahala View Post

I am actually trying to have Time Machine show a tiny progress dialog, which I saw only once some time ago. Hopefully this dialog stops me from shutting down my MacBook while TM is backing up :-)

Could that be the pop up you're referring to?

I have the TM preference "Show Time Machine status in the menu bar" enabled. Maybe that's why I cannot find a way to make the popup dialog show. However, disabling this option does not make it show either...

So: do you have "Show Time Machine status in the menu bar" enabled? If not, maybe enabling it helps to hide the pop up. And if anyone knows how to show the pop up: please tell me the secret ;-)

I do have it checked. That just means to show the time machine icon on the top icon near the clock. I do not believe it is referring to the pop up window. It's possible that your backup is too quick to really see the pop up window who knows. I guess if nothing changes within the hour of your previous backup, then it should be pretty quick. If you want, add or delete a fairly large file and see if it goes.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Nope, prior to my first reply I had TM back up almost 2GB, which certainly took some time over wifi, but no pop up. Hmmm, mysterious behavior... I'll still try playing with the setting and reboot my machine, but given your reply I doubt the menu bar icon and the pop up are somehow related...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palahala View Post

Nope, prior to my first reply I had TM back up almost 2GB, which certainly took some time over wifi, but no pop up. Hmmm, mysterious behavior... I'll still try playing with the setting and reboot my machine, but given your reply I doubt the menu bar icon and the pop up are somehow related...

personally I wish I was in your situation. I do NOT want the stupid pop-up to display itself. As long as TM indicates a back-up was done I am happy. Nothing more annoying then using Photoshop or something and having a stupid pop-up bother you..