Mininum for OSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have one of the original iMac 300's with 128MB and 40GIG of HD. Would the latest version of OS X run comfortably? I got a demo version of the very first one and it was a bit clunky and slow but perhaps they've made things better. Can anyone tell me?

Many thanks

AP Hovasse

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    peggespegges Posts: 56member
    Is the "demo" by any chance the Public Beta? If it is, do try the latest version (10.1.3). It will run on your setup, but make sure you invest in as much additional RAM as you can afford before you venture out in Aqua land.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Definately get some more RAM first.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    r. h.r. h. Posts: 56member
    My home computer is a beige 300 with 640MB of RAM(no; that's not a typo... lots of RAM is very good) and two 40GB harddrives, running MacOS X 10.1.3, and it runs fairly comfortably. Of course, it's still noticably slower than running MacOS 9, so I have to go back once in a while, particularly for gaming purposes.

I will admit that I'm finally starting to think about upgrading, but I want to see if all the rumors about the performance increase in MacOS X 10.2 are true first.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    [quote]Originally posted by R. H.:

<strong>My home computer is a beige 300 with 640MB of RAM(no; that's not a typo... lots of RAM is very good)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Big deal, that is not really that much RAM anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    peggespegges Posts: 56member
    [quote]Originally posted by R. H.:

<strong>I will admit that I'm finally starting to think about upgrading, but I want to see if all the rumors about the performance increase in MacOS X 10.2 are true first.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hush! Dont' say that out loud, lest we'll never get 10.2.