Apple's iPhone goes on sale in Austria, Ireland

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Friday began selling the iPhone in both Austria and Ireland, marking the fifth and sixth countries to see official support for the touch-screen handset since it first went on sale in the US last June.

Austria

Nearly all of the details surrounding the Austrian launch that were published Thursday evening turned out to be accurate with the exception of the top tier calling plan offered by T-Mobile Austria.

While the wireless carrier's website had initially listed the €55 "Supreme" calling plan as including a 3GB data cap, 4000 minutes, and 1000 SMS messages per month, Apple's Austrian site lists the plan with a 3GB cap and unlimited minutes and SMS messages.

Meanwhile, an entry-level €39 "Classic" plan includes a 3GB data cap, 1000 minutes, and no allotment of SMS messages, which will instead cost 25c each. Both plans offer Visual Voicemail support, though usage of the feature will draw from the 3GB monthly data cap.

Matching pricing in France, Germany, and Ireland, the iPhone itself retails for €399 and €499 in 8GB and 16GB configurations, respectively. The device, which requires a two-year service contract, is available from the online shops of both Apple and T-Mobile, as well as T-Mobile's 39 local retail shops.

Ireland

In Ireland, details of which were announced last month, O2 wireless customers can select between three monthly plans, starting with a €45 option that includes 175 anytime minutes and 100 text messages. A €65 tariff includes 350 anytime minutes and 150 text messages, while the high end tariff offers 700 minutes and 250 text messages for €100.

All three plans require a 18-month agreement and none include unlimited data or Visual Voicemail at this time. Instead, all three bundle just 1GB of data transfer and a 15c per minute charge for checking messages.

Similar to distribution in the UK, the iPhone will be made available through O2's local retail stores as well as local Carphone Warehouse shops.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Now for the Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders demanding their share of this, wondering why the don't get some of this, without having to resort to the grey market
  • Reply 2 of 46
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    That is a massive price difference. How come Austria gets off so cheap?
  • Reply 3 of 46
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netdog View Post

That is a massive price difference. How come Austria gets off so cheap?

Competition. What the market will bear (how much will you pay). Just wait for the Canadian launch. Then everything else will seem cheap. Canadians get ripped off crazy.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    And it's not available in Canada because someone is being dumb, greedy, stupid?

Is it available in Mexico, South America?

Skip
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

And it's not available in Canada because someone is being dumb, greedy, stupid?

Maybe - but possibly not in the way you seem to be implying. Unlike the settlement with Cisco in the USA, there's still an active dispute in Canada with Comwave Telecom over the use of the trademark "iPhone". However unlike Cisco, Comwave Teleom is actually actively selling telecommunications equipment under the name 'iPhone', and has been for 4 years now.

I honestly don't know how accommodating Rogers is going to be in bringing down some reasonable pricing. It sucks that none of Rogers' competitors are in the GSM band here.

Quote:

Is it available in Mexico, South America?

Of course not - or did you know that already? I believe the exhaustive list is Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, UK, and USA.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    that is a huge price difference in Austria from the German prices! no, seriously, crazy! and unlimited calling and SMS too, for 55 Euros!?! maybe they'll drop the price here for us in Deustchland? hmmm....
  • Reply 7 of 46
    rolsrols Posts: 68member
    iPhone is going out country by country and not very fast either. Ireland and Austria, probably not tiny markets, but surely much smaller than Canada or a largescale rollout in Asia. Every product has a lifetime and apple needs to get the iPhone out worldwide in a shorter amount of time before the buzz is over and it's just another product. Other phones hit markets worldwide in a very short amount of time.

I think it's time Apple gave up with the revenue share model, they're just not going to find that many companies who are going to do it. In many markets you can already sign up for a 2 year contract, at a reasonable rate, and get a free or heavily subsidized phone, a full-price phone AND an expensive plan is going to find a limited subscriber base.

I hope when Apple releases the 3G version they go a little more consumer and just put the phone into people's hands and let them use it wherever they happen to be. Then we'll start to see some real market penetration.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Maybe - but possibly not in the way you seem to be implying. Unlike the settlement with Cisco in the USA, there's still an active dispute in Canada with Comwave Telecom over the use of the trademark "iPhone". However unlike Cisco, Comwave Teleom is actually actively selling telecommunications equipment under the name 'iPhone', and has been for 4 years now.

I think what some other companies do for different regions is use a different name if they have to. Given that they might sell several hundred thousand a year in Canada, making an "ApplePhone" or "Phone" branded version doesn't seem that unreasonable.

It won't help the Rogers issue though.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Hi,

Does anybody know if Tmobile Austria uses Edge or UMTS?

I've been to austria in feb. and everywhere i went, the 3G signal was very good.. but i don't know what provider i used back then..

Regards,

Rick
  • Reply 10 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rols View Post

I think it's time Apple gave up with the revenue share model, they're just not going to find that many companies who are going to do it. In many markets you can already sign up for a 2 year contract, at a reasonable rate, and get a free or heavily subsidized phone, a full-price phone AND an expensive plan is going to find a limited subscriber base.

Apple's current revenue-sharing model is effectively a subsidized phone. Ignore the Sith mind tricks that tell you otherwise. A "full priced" unsubsidized phone would be at least a couple hundred dollars more. Yes, it's a lot, but the package with the plan is definitely a subsidized model under a different name.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    We're being totally ripped off here in Ireland, to be honest. I'm just glad I got my iPhone from the US and unlocked it.

I went along to the launch today at the flagship O2 Experience Store in Dublin (Ireland!).

You can read my thoughts here. There's some photos there as well.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trefusismadding View Post

We're being totally ripped off here in Ireland, to be honest. I'm just glad I got my iPhone from the US and unlocked it.

How much do pay for data charges each months? And much do you use the Internet features (Safari, Mail)?
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilsongs View Post

that is a huge price difference in Austria from the German prices! no, seriously, crazy! and unlimited calling and SMS too, for 55 Euros!?! maybe they'll drop the price here for us in Deustchland? hmmm....

I would not expect a price drop since the Austrian market is much more competitive than the German equivalent, compare our services and contract options to German offers: Usually you get unlimited calls to every provider for about 20-24 Euros, the only significant difference is the included data plan: Yet, data plans have been extremely expensive, with the advent of the iPhone it will take a while, however, I hope that data rates drop rapidly...! I am positively surprised by the options, still I see no reason to abandon my current plan, usually I pay around 8-10 Euros per month.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think what some other companies do for different regions is use a different name if they have to. Given that they might sell several hundred thousand a year in Canada, making an "ApplePhone" or "Phone" branded version doesn't seem that unreasonable.

It won't help the Rogers issue though.

It's simple really:

Apple cares more about money than they do about Canadian consumers.

They'd rather sell the product elsewhere than have to deal with the equally greedy Rogers or a potential trademark lawsuit. Think about it. The iPhone has been on the market for 8 months & 15 days. If they really wanted to release it, they could've figured out a way by now. They probably just did a cost-benefit analysis and came to the conclusion that Canada wasn't worth it. It's the only way to wrap your head around them releasing the product in a country of 6 million (Ireland) before releasing it to a country of 33 million just north of the border.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post

It's simple really:

Apple cares more about money than they do about Canadian consumers.

They'd rather sell the product elsewhere than have to deal with the equally greedy Rogers or a potential trademark lawsuit. Think about it. The iPhone has been on the market for 8 months & 15 days. If they really wanted to release it, they could've figured out a way by now. They probably just did a cost-benefit analysis and came to the conclusion that Canada wasn't worth it. It's the only way to wrap your head around them releasing the product in a country of 6 million (Ireland) before releasing it to a country of 33 million just north of the border.

OR maybe, just maybe Apple has asked for or is waiting for the Canadian cell phone carriers to become less aggressive with their pricing. Canada has some of the highest cell phone rates in the world.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post

It's simple really: Apple cares more about money than they do about Canadian consumers.

Why emphasize the blame on Apple? Perhaps you should temper your remarks and do some due diligence, i.e., get some facts before you shoot your mouth off and spout such derogatory crap.

Keep that up and I wouldn't care if you never got it.

Think about it

And for those with a more open mind, a little background: "Trademark dispute could further delay Apple iPhone in Canada" http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...trademark.html
  • Reply 17 of 46
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Happy now Ireland? I can't remember if you liked the iPhone or not.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsweimer View Post

OR maybe, just maybe Apple has asked for or is waiting for the Canadian cell phone carriers to become less aggressive with their pricing. Canada has some of the highest cell phone rates in the world.

F* that just release it unlocked online and in apple stores in canada for a markup of like 600 bucks for the 8gig and 800 for the 16 and people will flock. Watching that happen would definetly put the screws to rogers.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Why emphasize the blame on Apple? Perhaps you should temper your remarks and do some due diligence, i.e., get some facts before you shoot your mouth off and spout such derogatory crap.

Keep that up and I wouldn't care if you never got it.

Think about it

And for those with a more open mind, a little background: "Trademark dispute could further delay Apple iPhone in Canada" http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...trademark.html

Keep what up? Speaking my mind? Oh sorry about that, I thought this forum was about the free exchange of ideas & opinions.

Comwave is a ridiculously small company in Canada that the majority of Canadians haven't even heard about. How much is Apple worth again? How many lawyers do they have? They could settle that issue tonight if they really wanted to, but like I said, they don't want to.

It's been 8 months! Not including the 6 months after the initial announcement. They have had plenty of time to work things out in Canada, but no they'd rather release the iPhone in Luxembourg than give it to Canadians.

If I sound frustrated it's because I am. Imagine if the situation was reversed and a Canadian Apple was giving the US the shaft. It would be anarchy!

Defend the corporation all you like but you know what I'm saying is true.

And btw I could honestly not care less if you care that I get the iPhone. Who are you? A nobody to me.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsweimer View Post

Canada has some of the least expensive mobile tariff rates in the industrial world.

http://files.ctia.org/pdf/080108_US-...n_Ex_Parte.pdf