Screensaver fade/zoom effect

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
OSX's screensaver has a great pan/zoom/fade effect that it applies to images in a folder... my question is: is it possible to hijack this effect to make a quicktime movie?

It must be built into Quartz or something I'm assuming, but I'd love to make a QT flick with a bunch of images and get a little more control over the zoom (so it doesn't focus on someone's feet in the picture).

If there's no way to hijack this feature, does anyone else think this would be a great addition to iPhoto? The current slideshow's nice, but if I'm going to show people images, I just set up a quick screensaver instead because it's so much slicker than the simple iPhoto fade!

rr.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I don't have your answer, but I wondered why they didn't incorporate that feature into the "SlideShow" feature in iPhoto. I love the effect as a screensaver... they already cross-dissolve in iPhoto... why not do the zoom in/out too...?

These things and more are a mystery to me...

- Scott
  • Reply 2 of 3
    tarbashtarbash Posts: 278member
    If you have Final Cut Pro you can do the same effect with still shots and do a cross dissolve into your next clip for the exact same effect.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by ricRocket:

<strong>OSX's screensaver has a great pan/zoom/fade effect that it applies to images in a folder... my question is: is it possible to hijack this effect to make a quicktime movie?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

From my understanding this effect is rendered by Open GL, so pictures are projected on planes, which slowly move in z-space. No chance to capture this. This is also the reason why this screensaver doesn't work on my Lombard, because of missing Open GL acceleration.