Aluminum imac Crashed and Burned?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everyone this is my first post so I apologize if it is in the wrong spot.

I recently purchased an 24" aluminum imac for work and I have been in love with it. I have had it for less then a month and I came in today and moved the mouse to get it out of sleep mode and the login screen flashed for a split second and then it went black.

Now it will not power on at all. It sounds like it is trying because I keep hearing a buzz sound every couple of seconds. I looked at the RAM and tried a different power cord but neither fixed the problem.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem and found any remedies? It's not a huge deal since this is a work computer and since it is under a month old they said to bring it in and they will give me a new one. I am concerned because I was strongly considering buying the same imac for my personal computer at home but now I'm worried about encountering the same issue x amount of months down the line and having a headache.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I don't know. maybe it was a bad power supply? It doesn't sound like the sort of thing that's a systematic problem. If it was, trust me, there'd already be a lawsuit about it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I don't know. maybe it was a bad power supply? It doesn't sound like the sort of thing that's a systematic problem. If it was, trust me, there'd already be a lawsuit about it.

I agree... it could be a bad power supply, or some other internal fault.

I'd unplug all peripherals and try to start it up to try to isolate the problem.

And try a different power outlet (one time I had low voltage (like 70v) on a circuit due to a building wiring fault - it CAN happen).

If still no-go, its warranty service time!