What the hell is syslogd about ???

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Problem is, for the 2 last weeks, my iMac is slowing down and I see that syslogd is hogging up 100% percent cpu ?

What gives ?

The latest software I installed was Final Cut Studio 2.

i am not happy with this !

Zon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    It's the system log daemon. Essentially it's a program that writes system info to a log file.

It doesn't do it all the time so I'd say just be patient and wait for it to finish writing.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    zenarcadezenarcade Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

It's the system log daemon. Essentially it's a program that writes system info to a log file.

It doesn't do it all the time so I'd say just be patient and wait for it to finish writing.

My problem is that is taking a long time. and that it hog up 100%.

I have had all the big cats on my mac. But never had anything like this.

Hmm . . . I really won´t reinstall leopard
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenarcade View Post

My problem is that is taking a long time. and that it hog up 100%.

I have had all the big cats on my mac. But never had anything like this.

Hmm . . . I really won´t reinstall leopard

What you can try is reading out the last errors printed. If you open the terminal (/Applications/Utilities/terminal) and type:

syslog -k Time ge -30

it will tell you what's been dumped in the last 30 seconds. If there's no output, hit the up arrow at the next prompt to reinsert the command and add a zero onto the end to check the last 300 seconds. Keep doing this until you get some output and see what output is causing the problem.

If there is no significant output, try doing a drive verify as well as a repair permissions and reboot afterwards.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    If syslogd is continuously writing stuff, you've got a problem.

If you're not ok with Terminal, Use /Applications/Utilities/Console

Then open the system log and error logs from the file menu.

You may also want to investigate the logs in the 'Open Quickly' menu.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Thanks for the replies. I am monitoring my system very carefully these days.

I didn´t mentioned it, but there is an additional process that is killing my machine: mdworker

Very often it is about 100%.

Like now.... syslogd is 95 % and mdworker is 92 %

My system is very sluggish . obviously .

And I don´t install many apps. I seldom try out new apps.

Now happy with this.

Zon.

And thanks for all suggestions !
  • Reply 6 of 9
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    mdworker is part of Spotlight's indexing of meta data.

If syslogd is constantly thrashing your disk saving errors to the log, the file system will be slow and mdworker will possibly be dragging it down too.

Check out the system logs for errors. I had a couple of things causing errors when I updated from 10.4 to 10.5 that needed removing. Sometimes USB devices cause errors too. InputManager hacks sometimes cause issues too - eg. Safari hacks and some of Unsanity's APE hacks. LittleSnitch prior to v2 caused issues for me and an old USB audio driver.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

mdworker is part of Spotlight's indexing of meta data.

If syslogd is constantly thrashing your disk saving errors to the log, the file system will be slow and mdworker will possibly be dragging it down too.

Check out the system logs for errors. I had a couple of things causing errors when I updated from 10.4 to 10.5 that needed removing. Sometimes USB devices cause errors too. InputManager hacks sometimes cause issues too - eg. Safari hacks and some of Unsanity's APE hacks. LittleSnitch prior to v2 caused issues for me and an old USB audio driver.

dang ! That was fast !

Very thankful for this one. using disktools as I write this.

Zon
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenarcade View Post

dang ! That was fast !

Very thankful for this one. using disktools as I write this.

Zon

I am having the same problem. syslogd seems to be hovering around 97 percent all the time. What did you do to fix the problem? My Mac is so slow!!

Thanks!!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmcellig View Post

I am having the same problem. syslogd seems to be hovering around 97 percent all the time. What did you do to fix the problem? My Mac is so slow!!

Thanks!!

I was using Transmission, which is a bittorrent client. And was constantly writing to disk. So I guess it was spotlight or the file-journaling that constantly happened.

So every time I need my iMac to be really fast, that application is quitted.

zon