MBP buy question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
When buying the MBP they give you the option of what kind of screen to buy. What's better, Glossy or the non glossy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    depends what you're using it for....for the general consumer who keeps their laptop at home as a desktop replacement I'd say the glossy, as it makes viewing just more enjoyable in general and makes everything surely more vivid....

as a business/professional user id say matte because matte accurately displays colors and is the much better option for imaging work, as well as people that are always on the go and may be using their laptops outdoors etc.

I myself own a Glossy 15" MBP and Im very happy with it, but I know people that refuse to let go of their matte screens.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoreyMac View Post

as a business/professional user id say matte because matte accurately displays colors and is the much better option for imaging work, as well as people that are always on the go and may be using their laptops outdoors etc.

Actually, glossy does colors better, especially dark colors. matte is better for use outdoors or near windows.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    If you're a professional concerned with accuracy of color stick with a matte finish.

If you're in an environment where there is a lot of sunlight or heavy lighting you might consider matte, as glossy does a great job of reflecting those light sources. That said, it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. You notice it at first but before long it becomes second nature to move your position, and that of your laptop, just enough that you don't notice it.

Glossy offers colors which appear to be richer and more vivid. Black is truer to black.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I was concerned going from my PowerBook (matte) to a MacBook (glossy). I was afraid of the glossy-screen glare. But since work was "giving" me the MacBook, I decided to try out the glossy.

It turns out that the glossy screen glare doesn't impact me at all. However, I think if I had the choice, I'd still go for the matte display. The glossy does look very nice, however.