Quite impressed with the Mac mini

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was working with a Mac mini today and I have to say that I'm quite impressed with it's performance.

The weird 3GB/4GB RAM upgrade doubtless had a big impact, but I was surprised at just how capable this teeny little Mac is. It handled Adobe CS3 and QuarkXPress just fine!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I was working with a Mac mini today and I have to say that I'm quite impressed with it's performance.

The weird 3GB/4GB RAM upgrade doubtless had a big impact, but I was surprised at just how capable this teeny little Mac is. It handled Adobe CS3 and QuarkXPress just fine!

What is your monitor
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I concur

Though many tend to denigrate the Mac mini for a General Purpose computer it's a nice quiet and (with enough RAM) capable performing computer.

Though for cleanliness my next desktop will be likely a 24" iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    The mini is a great little machine. I'm waiting for the next update to get one.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    It's Apple's best machine. Because it's so modular, it makes it so much more practical than an iMac.

If they made sure to keep it up to date with the latest chips, used a decent graphics card like an 8600M GT or such like and stuck a 7200 rpm hard drive in there, it would be simply the best machine in the whole world. If you can fit dual 2.4GHz CPU + 8600M GT + 7200 rpm drives in a Macbook Pro for £1200 then you can fit them in a 'Mini' for probably £900 - no display and some desktop parts.

It doesn't have to be upgradable, it doesn't have to be super cheap. As long as it's a reasonably priced machine with good, powerful parts that represent value for money.

If Apple did that, companies who make things like the Open Mac wouldn't get a second glance. It's only through Apples failings at making the Mini what it should be that people start to look elsewhere.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tommy peters View Post

what is your monitor

23" acd.