Apple unleashes new version of Safari web browser

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Odd. For me, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Still no crashes. And my corporate website would lock up Safari very quickly - I think it was something to do with security certificates.

- Jasen.

Try going to ESPN.COM that site always made safari crash!
  • Reply 42 of 124
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

D'oh, if you use 1Password, you might want to hold off on updating....

Big DOH! Too late for me. I'll have to switch back to FF until 1Pw works
  • Reply 43 of 124
    grafgraf Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

I wonder why Apple released 3.1 with such an old build of webkit. Current nightlies of Webkit are at 93.

Because software companies like to test software before they release it. I would hope that Apple froze the code at least a month ago to allow for sufficient QA to be done before releasing it.
  • Reply 44 of 124
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    The Appleinsider web page is causing Safari to crash as I naviagte around it.

Not seen the problem anywhere else. It could be related to the adverts that are being served up I suppose as they are UK specific.

Ian
  • Reply 45 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

No "new tab" button? Does anyone else think this remains a strange omission?

Since there's a key command for it...no.

Learn to use key commands, mousing to a menu button is a waste of time.
  • Reply 46 of 124
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Quote:

(a new tab button or the option to show the tab bar always - Ctrl+T is not the easiest or fastest way)

Dude, if you say ctrl + T is not the fastest way, then you gotta be a troll cause Ctrl + T (note that you dont need to press the + keypad) is much faster then moving your mouse to the tab bar button. No matter what you cant beat the fact that using your fingers that god gave you to access functions in Safari that is simple to remember is much faster then navigating your mouse to a button.

Hmm, it seems they removed the report bug button. Much more cleaner looks, I still consider FF and IE as messy browsers cause of the buttons, IE is the worst. FF is still okay and fast, but its as fast as Safari, try doing a side by side comparison in page loading (make sure that its a page that both software never visit before)
  • Reply 47 of 124
    tri3tri3 Posts: 20member
    I can not tell a speed difference yet. Seem about the same for me on my Mac Book Pro 2.2
  • Reply 48 of 124
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,959member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Apple doesn't like putting buttons everywhere, there's the CMD-T shortcut for a New Tab

Besides the new double-click trick, you could try programming one of your Mighty Mouse functions to do this.
  • Reply 49 of 124
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post

According to the new features mentioned by Apple it appears you can double click in the tab area to add a new tab too... About the Safari 3.1 Update

Double-clicking on the tab bar for a new tab has been a feature for some time now.

The only problem with that is that it only works if you already have 2 or more tabs. With no tabs, you have no tab bar to click on.
  • Reply 50 of 124
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 51 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

There is an option to always show the tab bar. And now you can double-click said tab bar to create a new tab.

There you go - problem solved.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

There is an option to always show the tab bar. And now you can double-click said tab bar to create a new tab.

By far the best approach, however, is to cntl-click any link or bookmark, which opens the link in a new tab. Bar far more efficient than opening a blank tab and then navigating to the url through that tab.
  • Reply 53 of 124
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Apple's servers must be overloaded. I can't get to it in Software Update.
  • Reply 54 of 124
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Sorry, my mistake, it seems now they make the report bug button as a add to use button kinda thing which can be located in view -> customize bar.

Wow, thats a very simplified safari browser.
  • Reply 55 of 124
    Safari 3.1 seems to have disabled localhost pages on my G5.

This is critical for developing web sites loacally. Any thoughts?
  • Reply 56 of 124
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 57 of 124
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    now I know that thher is a clear rational for announcing that software is only good for computers with built-in firewire, but doesn't that kind screw the macbook air users?
  • Reply 58 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

D'oh, if you use 1Password, you might want to hold off on updating....

Here's a fix:

http://heatery.wordpress.com/2008/03...ith-safari-31/
  • Reply 59 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Trust me, it's an absolute joy not to have any toolbar buttons in the browser, I replaced everything with keyboard shortcuts:

Back= command [ (or delete, though that doesn't always work)

Forward= command ]

Reload= command r

Stop= command .

Location= command l

Search bar= command l tab

Bookmark page= command d

Print= command p (of course)

Oh wait, there are 3 more:

show/hide status bar= command /

show/hide toolbar= command shift \\ (or command |)

New tab/window= command t/n (also w for closing, and I'm not sure how I forgot these)

Don't use the homepage one, my homepage is about:blank so there's no point. Everything else after that can pretty much go to hell because I either don't use it or use it so rarely that I access it from the menu bar instead.

Sebastian

Also, don't forget the all-powerful Cmd - Q for Quit program (analogous to Alt - F4 on Windows machines). And, I've used CMD - Left and Cmd Right arrows to navigate back and forth on webpages. These are easy enough for "right-hand" navigation.
  • Reply 60 of 124
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Apple doesn't like putting buttons everywhere, there's the CMD-T shortcut for a New Tab

Command-T worked in the previous version also.