The actual Macbook Pro 2.6 - superslow???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi!

I received my Macbook Pro 2,6 Ghz Penryn, 4 Gig Ram 7200 Hd yesterday and installed nothing but my Audio software Ableton Live and Reason i also use on my IMAC 2.8Ghz, 4 Gig Ram (the one released in August 08).

But the thing is:

The completely same file uses the CPU on my:

*) IMAC up to 25-30%

*) MacBook Pro up to 71%

How can this be??? I thought the Penryn has an optimized architecture.....

Thats bad bad bad for me.... or could it be broken somehow?

Greetz, Flip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fliprotate View Post

Hi!

I received my Macbook Pro 2,6 Ghz Penryn, 4 Gig Ram 7200 Hd yesterday and installed nothing but my Audio software Ableton Live and Reason i also use on my IMAC 2.8Ghz, 4 Gig Ram (the one released in August 08).

But the thing is:

The completely same file uses the CPU on my:

*) IMAC up to 25-30%

*) MacBook Pro up to 71%

How can this be??? I thought the Penryn has an optimized architecture.....

Thats bad bad bad for me.... or could it be broken somehow?

Greetz, Flip

IIRC, few programs currently take advantage of SSE4. That'll ahppen later as developers write thier apps to take advantage of that.

Still I wouldn't expect your iMac to more than 10% faster than your new MBP. I don't have an answer for you. Maybe someone else has an idea.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hhhmm..any ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    That's odd, the new 2.6GHz has a 6MB cache vs. what I think was 4MB for the previous generation. Maybe you should find a forum dedicated to Ableton and see if anyone there has experienced the same thing. The only thing I can think of is maybe your software uses the graphics chip, that looks like the biggest difference between the two in terms of what it might compute.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I don't see how or why the developer of that software would utilize the graphics chip for an audio application. It seems to be that there has to be some other factor affecting performance. You'd think the two would be neck and neck. I wonder if the problem lies with the hard drive. One way you could test to see if it's the disk...boot the iMac into Firewire Target Mode and then boot the MacBook Pro off of the iMac's hard drive using a 9-pin to 9-pin Firewire 800 cable. Assuming that the iMac has the latest version of 10.5 this should not be a problem. Run your tests and see if there's any difference.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I don't see how or why the developer of that software would utilize the graphics chip for an audio application.

Why not? Graphics chips are now programable DSPs.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Perhaps it's overheating and throttling the processor.