uninstalling quicktime in OSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
ok, here's the deal. like a dumbass, i installed a beta version of quicktime 6 that i "acquired". since i restarted, my mac is acting quite schizoid to the point that it is unusable. the dock and finder refuse to load. the only thing i'm able to get access to is my system prefs via my monitor controls panel that hangs out at the top of my screen. how the hell can i get rid of qicktime from say os9? any ideas? thanks.

-rws

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    1. Get "Pacifist" off versiontracker.com

2. Then use Pacifist to open the package on your 10.1 cd called "Essentials.pkg" then,

3. In Pac. hit "apple+f".

4. Do a search for "quicktime".

5. A drawer will open on the side of Pac. with the results.

6. Find "Quicktime Player.app", highlight it and hit "apple+S" or "File" "Extract Files" NOT "Extract To". It will ask you if u wish to install it to its original path, hit yes. It will extract it, and then prompt you to "upgrade, ignore, or replace". Hit replace, if asked "replace all".

7. Now you wanna do this to these files that will be in the result drawer:

QuickTime Player.app (4.4 megs)

QuickTime.Frameworks (1.6 megs)

QuickTime.prefPane (456.8k)

QuickTime (8.9 megs)

Double check the file sizes to make sure you have the right ones. Once u have these files reinsttaled, reboot. then run the 10.1.3 update

Mac Guru
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cool, but i'm having problems locating it on version tracker. do you have a download link?

-rws
  • Reply 3 of 7
    You can't find it? A simple search of "pacifist" gave this single link:

<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12743&db=mac"; target="_blank">Pacifist 1.0b4.1</a>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    that's odd. i typed it in again and still no luck. double checked my spelling even. so i clicked the link you provided and sure enough it's there. weird. thanks.

i don't know if this going to help or not though since it is a osX app. the os seems hosed right now. i'll mess with some thing later today and see if i can come up with something.

-rws
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Try making a different user account (admin) and run it from there.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    If you delete the relevant files in OS9 and then boot up with the OSX Install CD, it should reinstall the missing parts.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Try making a different user account (admin) and run it from there.<hr></blockquote>

the system is hosed, dude. it doesn't do shiat. i'm luck to be able to see the clock. that's about it in X.

[quote]If you delete the relevant files in OS9 and then boot up with the OSX Install CD, it should reinstall the missing parts.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

i'll give it a shot. hopefully i won't make it worse

thanks.