Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Most of you have likely heard by now that the great futurist, Arthur C. Clarke, died early this morning (story). I remember how amazed I was when I first read 2001: A Space Odyssey, and again when I watched the film. I highly recommend the story to anyone who hasn't read it (and even to those who have). I've been eying my copy of 2001 for the past month, thinking that it's about time to give it another read, so perhaps now is the time to do it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    It's gives me a sense of hope when reminded that there really are some celebrities who are deserving of that status.

RIP Arthur C. Clarke
  • Reply 2 of 2
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Video: Arthur C. Clarke's Last Message to Earth

Quote:

I hope that we have learned something from the most barbaric century in history -- the twentieth. I would like to see us overcome our tribal factions, and begin to think and act as if we were one family. That would be real globalization.

Quote:

I’m sometimes asked how I would like to be remembered. I’ve had a diverse career as a writer, underwater explorer, space promoter and science populariser. Of all these, I want to be remembered most as a writer – one who entertained readers, and, hopefully, stretched their imagination as well.

I find that another English writer -- who, coincidentally, also spent most of his life in the East -- has expressed it very well. So let me end with these words of Rudyard Kipling:

If I have given you delight

by aught that I have done.

Let me lie quiet in that night

which shall be yours anon;

And for the little, little span

the dead are borne in mind,

seek not to question other than,

the books I leave behind.

This is Arthur Clarke, saying Thank You and Goodbye from Colombo!