Safari and Safari Stand: couple of questions

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm transitioning from Firefox to Safari (3.1) and trying to tweak Safari a bit to act more like the customized FF I have been using.

I've installed Safari Stand but have a couple of questions:

[1] Forcing all Safari windows into tabs: It's my understanding that Stand addresses this issue. However, I'm finding I still get multiple windows opening up under the following condition: If I have a Safari window open and I click on a link in an email, it will open up in a new window.

The only thing I see in Stand's preferences related to Tab/Window opening is on the "General" tab where it says "open target link in new tab". Is there some other setting I'm missing, or is Stand not able to capture links from emails in a new tab?

[2] Start finding as you type: If I understand this function correctly (under the "Key Action" tab of Stands preferences, checking "Automates Find Function" should start the find/search on page function immediately as you start typing (rather than having to first do cmd-F) like Firefox does. Doesn't seem to be working

Thanks. I'm amazed at how much quicker Safari is in loading pages than is Firefox!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Argelius View Post

I'm transitioning from Firefox to Safari (3.1) and trying to tweak Safari a bit to act more like the customized FF I have been using.

I've installed Safari Stand but have a couple of questions:

[1] Forcing all Safari windows into tabs: It's my understanding that Stand addresses this issue. However, I'm finding I still get multiple windows opening up under the following condition: If I have a Safari window open and I click on a link in an email, it will open up in a new window.

The only thing I see in Stand's preferences related to Tab/Window opening is on the "General" tab where it says "open target link in new tab". Is there some other setting I'm missing, or is Stand not able to capture links from emails in a new tab?

[2] Start finding as you type: If I understand this function correctly (under the "Key Action" tab of Stands preferences, checking "Automates Find Function" should start the find/search on page function immediately as you start typing (rather than having to first do cmd-F) like Firefox does. Doesn't seem to be working

Thanks. I'm amazed at how much quicker Safari is in loading pages than is Firefox!

If you are using Safari 3.1, there's a command you can enter in the terminal that forces windows to open in new tabs:

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/03/21/termi...e-window-mode/

It seems to work well so far. I had to restart to get it to work, but that might have just been me. This has allowed me to remove Safari stand, as that was the only thing I was using it for.

Hope that helps .
  • Reply 2 of 2
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitaldave View Post

If you are using Safari 3.1, there's a command you can enter in the terminal that forces windows to open in new tabs:

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/03/21/termi...e-window-mode/

It seems to work well so far. I had to restart to get it to work, but that might have just been me. This has allowed me to remove Safari stand, as that was the only thing I was using it for.

Hope tat helps .

Thanks! Will see if that does the trick! If it does, will probably do the same with Safari Stand

(though I'd still like the "find as you type" functionality)