Microsoft hints at Office, voice recognition iPhone apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Microsoft Corp. has been taking a long hard look at Apple's iPhone software developers kit (SDK) since it was released earlier this month in hopes of profiting from the thriving mobile platform by releasing a few native applications of its own.

The Redmond, Wash.-based software giant is already the largest software developer for Apple's Mac platform outside of the Mac maker itself, with Fortune's Big Tech blog estimating that its Mac Business Unit generates revenues in excess of $350 million and profits of over $200 million each year.

Add to that the firm's expertise in its proprietary Exchange email protocols and business email systems, and it's almost a certainty that Microsoft will be among those bearing fresh wares for Apple's iPhone and iPod touch a bit later this year, Tom Gibbons, corporate vice president of Microsoft's Specialized Devices and Applications Group, told the business publication.

"We do have experience with that environment, and that gives us confidence to be able to do something,” he said. “The key question is, what is the value that we need to bring?"

Gibbons' team of Mac developers, which actually resides in Mountain View, Calif., just a few miles from Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, is reportedly weighing its most viable options for an initial native iPhone application, which appears as if it will fall within the Office family of productivity applications.

"It's really important for us to understand what we can bring to the iPhone," he said. "To the extent that Mac Office customers have functionality that they need in that environment, we're actually in the process of trying to understand that now."

In addition, Mike McCue of Microsoft's recently acquired TellMe voice recognition unit told Fortune that his team is also excited about iPhone development assuming the SDK will allow third party software to tap into voice recording and location-based features.

"If the SDK supports these things," he said, "we’re absolutely going to get a version out there as soon as we can, get TellMe out there on the iPhone."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft Corp. has been taking a long hard look at Apple's iPhone software developers kit (SDK) since it was released earlier this month in hopes of profiting from the thriving mobile platform by releasing a few native applications of its own.

The Redmond, Wash.-based software giant is already the largest software developer for Apple's Mac platform outside of the Mac maker itself, with Fortune's Big Tech blog estimating that its Mac Business Unit generates revenues in excess of $350 million and profits of over $200 million each year.

Add to that the firm's expertise in its proprietary Exchange email protocols and business email systems, and it's almost a certainty that Microsoft will be among those bearing fresh wares for Apple's iPhone and iPod touch a bit later this year, Tom Gibbons, corporate vice president of Microsoft's Specialized Devices and Applications Group, told the business publication.

"We do have experience with that environment, and that gives us confidence to be able to do something,? he said. ?The key question is, what is the value that we need to bring?"

Gibbons' team of Mac developers, which actually resides in Mountain View, Calif., just a few miles from Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, is reportedly weighing its most viable options for an initial native iPhone application, which appears as if it will fall within the Office family of productivity applications.

"It's really important for us to understand what we can bring to the iPhone," he said. "To the extent that Mac Office customers have functionality that they need in that environment, we're actually in the process of trying to understand that now."

In addition, Mike McCue of Microsoft's recently acquired TellMe voice recognition unit told Fortune that his team is also excited about iPhone development assuming the SDK will allow third party software to tap into voice recording and location-based features.

"If the SDK supports these things," he said, "we?re absolutely going to get a version out there as soon as we can, get TellMe out there on the iPhone."

Can anyone say Zune-Office?
  • Reply 2 of 67
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Can anyone say Zune-Office?

If it had some form of hand writing recognition, actually that from ANYBODY would be sweet...

Cough Apple Cough

• Reply 3 of 67
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

If it had some form of hand writing recognition, actually that from ANYBODY would be sweet...

How about voice recognition especially for making phone calls.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Maybe MSN instant messaging for the iPhone?

I think maybe an Entourage app for the iPhone would be nice if they integrated some featured not available in Apple's mail+calendar+address book trio. Things like, out of office assistant, import Entourage/Outlook rules and mailing lists, to-do list syncing, and notes syncing. And they must use Active Sync.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    Quote:

I like the idea of having office apps on the iPhone. I think that although the iPhone is the coolest piece of tech ever, it would benefit from having office apps and an open directory framework analogous to the windows mobile devices. I used to own the t-mobile "Wing" before the iPhone came out, and i enjoyed the freedom to navigate within my phone. I realize that my jailbreak program gives me that functionality, but i think it should be standard functionality for iPhone.

I also feel that if SJ is serious about wedging the iPhone into corporate america, having those apps is essential. let's face it, Office is the standard, and no software created by Apple is going to replace it in corporate america. So, looks like this is another step toward the "EiPhone", or Enterprise iPhone. Can't wait to hear the nicknames: Crackberry, dingleberry.....will be replaced with cryPhone, styPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I hope they sell enough to break even.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Cough Apple Cough

Handwriting might need to be preceeded with the capability to write on the iPhone.

I assume using a device like a stylus isn't going to work very well on it, so I think handwriting recognition isn't going to go as far as voice recognition.

(which MS will bring to it)

It's going to be fun watching MicroSoft, Adobe, and others racing to see who can build up the iPhone platform.....
  • Reply 8 of 67
    I rather have iWorks or a scaled down OpenOffice on the iPhone, I have no need for Bloatware.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Handwriting might need to be preceeded with the capability to write on the iPhone.

I assume using a device like a stylus isn't going to work very well on it, so I think handwriting recognition isn't going to go as far as voice recognition.

(which MS will bring to it)

It's going to be fun watching MicroSoft, Adobe, and others racing to see who can build up the iPhone platform.....

Using a stylus isn't going to work at all, since the iphone's screen requires the touch of a human body part. Tapping the screen with a plastic or metal object would produce nothing.

Handwriting recognition just isn't going to happen. Voice recognition is far more likely and practical for this sort of device. But even that has a long way to go.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    Quote:

MacBU is located in both Redmond and Mountain View. The team is split roughly 50/50 between the two locations. We also have small teams in Ireland, China, and Japan.

Regards,

Nadyne.

--

Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher

Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit

http://blogs.msdn.com/nadyne/
  • Reply 11 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Maybe MSN instant messaging for the iPhone?

I think maybe an Entourage app for the iPhone would be nice if they integrated some featured not available in Apple's mail+calendar+address book trio. Things like, out of office assistant, import Entourage/Outlook rules and mailing lists, to-do list syncing, and notes syncing. And they must use Active Sync.

And in iPods, they must implement Lip Sync.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Using a stylus isn't going to work at all, since the iphone's screen requires the touch of a human body part. Tapping the screen with a plastic or metal object would produce nothing.

Handwriting recognition just isn't going to happen. Voice recognition is far more likely and practical for this sort of device. But even that has a long way to go.

I've seen ads for stylus's (styli?) that simulate the same capacitance as produced by a finger.

Still, its a step backward.

Voice recog is the way to go (also meaning that someone has to get on the ball with a DSP snap-on for the touch to allow sound input.)
  • Reply 13 of 67
    iWork for Mac will probably be ported to the iPhone, so maybe MS Office won't be absolutely necessary. I'm certain Microsoft and Adobe see the iPhones potential. Both of those companies should make a lot of money writing applications for the iPhone. It'll be a brand new revenue stream for them.

It doesn't really matter which company makes good applications for the iPhone. If the apps are good and there are potential iPhone users out there, then maybe iPhone sales will go through the roof. When ePocrates gets ported to the iPhone, I'll bet all the doctors will be wanting an iPhone. The second half of this year should be great for the iPhone platform. I just hope the iPhone hardware can stand up to all the use it's going to have to cope with.

So many people are asking for voice dialing and video recording. Maybe there'll be a dozen of those applications when iPhone 2.0 firmware is available. There should be a heck of a lot of legal apps to choose from to please all iPhone owners and potential iPhone owners.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I am glad Microsoft is considering iPhone apps. TellMe is a great idea, as is a light Office.

Personally, I have moved to iWork, except for Excel. I suspect with a serious upgrade to Numbers, I will not use Office at all.

But I still think Office is an important application, and I think competition is good.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I've seen ads for stylus's (styli?) that simulate the same capacitance as produced by a finger.

Voice recog is the way to go (also meaning that someone has to get on the ball with a DSP snap-on for the touch to allow sound input.)

If you want to take notes in a quiet setting, Voice recog is not going to work...

Just a thought, otherwise it might be nice.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Yeah, whats that we smell? Bloatware stinking up the place?

As long as activeSync works that's about the only sw needed from microsoft thank you very much.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

There already is a stereo audio line in channel available through the Dock Connector - it's been there for several generations of iPods now. But that might fall under the EULA restriction which says that no apps developed under the iPhone SDK are allowed to access the Dock Connector - all uses of the Dock Connector are supposed to be submitted to Apple for approval under a different system.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

There already is a stereo audio line in channel available through the Dock Connector - it's been there for several generations of iPods now. But that might fall under the EULA restriction which says that no apps developed under the iPhone SDK are allowed to access the Dock Connector - all uses of the Dock Connector are supposed to be submitted to Apple for approval under a different system.

I saw a posting a while back confirming that the dock connector on the touch does indeed support voice, so its definitely possible.

As with all 3rd party things, there are 2 classes of developers. The unwashed masses and good-buddy partners. The restriction on accessing the dock via the SDK no doubt applies to 99% of regular developers. But hardware partners are a different animal. Apple can allow them any access they wish.

The question is, will they?

I'm trying to figure out Apple's thinking on expandability via the dock connector. Its a gold mine, but I seriously doubt that Apple wants to get too deep into the snap-on market. Gotta wonder what kind of discussions are under way with people like Belken, Griffin, or XtremeMac.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

There already is a stereo audio line in channel available through the Dock Connector - it's been there for several generations of iPods now.

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...ead.php?t=9347
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Is it just me or do people have strange expectations of the iPhone..

I don't see it as a desktop replacement, so why on earth would I want MS Office?

I can't understand wy you would want this type of software?????

is it just me ??