When might we see an iMac with a BD writer, and a quad core CPU?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm currently mixing it up with a Macbook for portable computing, and a quad core Shuttle XPC for desktop work. A Mac Pro is total overkill for me but as much as I'd like to go Mac on the desktop I'd want an iMac with a quad core chip, and a BD writter (as I couldn't upgrade the optical later with an iMac as I can with my XPC, and I'd rather stay clear of ugly external drives)

BD writer prices seem to have come down a lot lately so it's surprising (to me at least) that they still don't offer one as an option, and the quad core chips also seem to have dropped in price dramatically. So... any ideas when Apple might offer an iMac with this type of build to order spec?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'm currently mixing it up with a Macbook for portable computing, and a quad core Shuttle XPC for desktop work. A Mac Pro is total overkill for me but as much as I'd like to go Mac on the desktop I'd want an iMac with a quad core chip, and a BD writter (as I couldn't upgrade the optical later with an iMac as I can with my XPC, and I'd rather stay clear of ugly external drives)

BD writer prices seem to have come down a lot lately so it's surprising (to me at least) that they still don't offer one as an option, and the quad core chips also seem to have dropped in price dramatically. So... any ideas when Apple might offer an iMac with this type of build to order spec?

After we see them on the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

... and the quad core chips also seem to have dropped in price dramatically. So... any ideas when Apple might offer an iMac with this type of build to order spec?

the only quad-core chip from Intel, for notebooks and hybrid desktops like the iMac, will be available in september (or so). It will be a 2.53GHz cpu and will cost $1,038 by the thousand. Since it is still a 45W part, Apple may offer it in the 24" iMac for a nice $2,499 (or so).

I don't think DESKTOP quad-core cpus are more affordable than 6 months ago, but today you can buy a desktop 2.50GHz quad-core cpu for $266 (by the thousand) from Intel. And manufacturers are offering quad-core desktop computers for about $999 (some with a 20/22" LCD display included). If that's what you are looking for...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    We could see it this fall, but expect a $2500 price tag.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    tarltarl Posts: 41member
    I would would be less concerned about having a quad-core CPU just now. The number of applications that can take advantage of them fit on one hand.

Since you say that a Mac Pro is overkill, I doubt you're doing anything that would benefit from 4 cores.

I'd get a more reasonably priced computer now and worry about the high end CPUs when there are actual gains to be had from them.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarl View Post

I would would be less concerned about having a quad-core CPU just now. The number of applications that can take advantage of them fit on one hand.

Since you say that a Mac Pro is overkill, I doubt you're doing anything that would benefit from 4 cores.

I'd get a more reasonably priced computer now and worry about the high end CPUs when there are actual gains to be had from them.

I do a fair bit of video conversion, so my quad core Shuttle comes in pretty handy. It tears through HD H.264 encoding in no time at all.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    By the end of this year, I would think. At least, all the necessary parts will exist by then. Apple would be stupid not to offer that mobile quad CPU as a BTO option.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    They offer mobile dual cores and a mobile motherboard with mobile ram and a mobile optical drive as standard
  • Reply 9 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Yep.. 2010
  • Reply 10 of 10
    tarltarl Posts: 41member
    Quote:

I do a fair bit of video conversion, so my quad core Shuttle comes in pretty handy. It tears through HD H.264 encoding in no time at all.

From what I've read, the quad-core CPUs can do well at video encoding. But I think QuickTime doesn't handle them as well as it could. A single video encode will max out a CPU core, but won't utilize more than 1 core at a time. But you can encode 4 separate videos at once, each on a different core.