Has a Sirius accessory/attachment ever been talked about?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I listen to sports talk radio whenever my iPod isn?t plugged in (work/car), and I?ve grown extremely annoyed with my local sports talk programs. I?m looking into buying a Sirius radio sooner than later for their all NFL channel, but after doing a lot of research, it seems like a bit of a pain, especially when having to carry three devices (phone, iPod, Sirius radio). Then you need a dock with an antenna almost everywhere you go.

Has a Sirius radio add-on ever been mentioned for the iPod? For example, something small like the FM radio tuner that plugs into the dock connector of an iPod which has a Sirius tuner/antenna in it, with one input port for an external antenna plug-in. Then the navigating through Sirius channels is done on the iPod screen itself.

The cheapest Sirius radio with car kit is around $50, so if this device sold for around $100-$150 Sirius and Apple would be making money, assuming Apple gets a kickback from the sales. The Sirius portables go for a lot more ($250), but considering they would only be making an add-on for an iPod and not a complete device with battery, screen, flash memory, etc, I think their cost would be much lower.

I know it?s something that is not going to happen anytime soon, but does anyone think this is something we could ever see Apple doing with Sirius?

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

Would you purchase a product like this if it was available?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Well, a week after I posted my idea, a mobile phone is getting XM built in.

http://gizmodo.com/375775/blackberry...or-799-a-month

Quote:

BlackBerry Users Get XM Radio, Excuse to Take Phones Into Bathrooms For $7.99 a Month

I used to sleep through class by tuning my cellphone's FM radio to a classical station, sitting in the back, and putting a jacket over my face, so this XM Radio on BlackBerry is pretty spectacular news. All you need is a BlackBerry 8800, 8700, Pearl or Curve and $7.99 a month. You'll get 20 "exclusive" XM channels (list after the jump), and you can download the app here or text "XM" to 47201. Time for a nap. Since this uses the phone's regular data connection, you hopefully won't be forced to wear giant ridiculous looking headphones in order to get reception.

I think Sirius is better, but at least something is happening with this idea. I would love if Sirius was built into future iPods, or as least a dock attachment that would allow reception with a monthly fee.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Listening to Stern a while bck, a caller called and claimed that he was listening via Safari on the iPhone...I tried and it doesnt work...I have also talked to the ...ahem...iphone underground community, and they have nothing also...

also, satellite receivers get really hot, particularly the compact ones: my Sportster cooks my dash...all of my friends have sirius and XM and they all get hot too. that kind of heat is not tolerable in an ipod...you want a ~130 degree plus device in your pocket?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't the constant scanning of the skies for a clean satellite signal drain the heck out of the poor little iPod battery and a_greer is right, the heat would be an issue if those in car satellite receivers are any indication.

Not being a satellite radio subscriber (old schooler - 'why pay for radio') what is the smallest receiver currently available and what's its battery life like? That would go a long way into telling us how truly viable the idea is with present technology.

Also while the blackberry news is interesting...

"Since this uses the phone's regular data connection, you hopefully won't be forced to wear giant ridiculous looking headphones in order to get reception"

Its nothing more than listening to the audio over a cellular data connection and as such should be just as taxing on the battery as a normal voice/data call is now. Either way the iPod (not iPhone) itself couldn't utilize such a solution even if it wanted to.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I've been listening to Howard on my Sprint Mogul using the free program SiriusWM5. It works extremely well since the last firmware update that added EVDO RevA and fixed all the problems with Bluetooth. I usually listen through my stereo bluetooth headphones. This requires an online subscription (comes free with each satellite subscription). Make sure you get an unlimited data plan!