Mac OS 10.6 DP At WWDC?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone think we will see a Developer Preview of Mac OS 10.6 at the WWDC this year or do you think the "iPhone OS" will be the main hot topic this year?

I am starting to think maybe they will focus on iPhone OS and skip the next upgrade for the Mac OS till next year....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Forget 10.6, that's a long way away.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Yeah that's what I'm afraid of.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Anyone think we will see a Developer Preview of Mac OS 10.6 at the WWDC this year or do you think the "iPhone OS" will be the main hot topic this year?

I am starting to think maybe they will focus on iPhone OS and skip the next upgrade for the Mac OS till next year....

Quiet, Feyman! 10.5 JUST came out! Give me time to use my computer before I can no longer upgrade it! Why do we need major OS upgrades? That's an upgrade treadmill I cannot afford to step on.

Thanks for staying quiet...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I can see a roadmap being presented, or at least some kind of pre-teaser that simply acknowledges that they are working on it. "Leopard has been the most successful Mac OS to date, and we think it's really the best that's out there - but were not stopping there..." I believe they did this at WWDC 2005, although it was another year before we saw anything.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Nope, I doubt will see a 10.6 preview till next Jan at the earliest...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Ok I'm going to have to go with what I perceive to be logical thinking here.

The only reason why if feels so early to be talking about OS X 10.6 is because Leopard shipped 4 months late. Now who's fault is that? That's Apple's fault.

WWDC 08 can't be another "Wow here's Leopard and all the 300 new features it can do" . How many companies do you know would spend $1800 a head to send their developers to a rehash of WWDC 07?

It's not hard to begin talking about 10.6 for Apple. Leopard's not perfect and Jobs and Co is pretty comfy with a 18 month release cycle.

I figure they will

1. Continue to talk up Leopard and focus on features that have gotten little press i.e Resolution Independence.

2. Deliver a set of goals for 10.6 for developers without getting into specifics. Apple can at least deliver info about their direction. You can guarantee that Xcode and other developer tools will continue to improve their link with the iPhone SDK.

3. More extensive iPhone coverage. iPhone mini introduction.

Apple has to continue to push OS X further ahead at the same rapid pace that have boosted the company's fortunes and appeal. As an OS X user I "know" 10.6 is coming..there's no reason not to start setting some trace points in the minds of OS X users about what's coming next and it's imperative for developers to see constant improvement with tools and features.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ...that we will see some sort of Developer Preview of Mac OS 10.6 at WWDC.

If you look at the track sessions for the Mac OS it will say:

What's New In Objective C

Objective-C is the dynamic programming language at the heart of Mac OS X and iPhone OS application development. From its roots as a simple object-oriented superset of C to powerful new features in Leopard, the language has evolved to meet your needs. Learn how to use properties, take advantage of fast enumeration, and use garbage collection in your own development. Discover Objective-C as it is today and learn where it's headed.

What's New In Cocoa

Get an overview of the newest features and important changes in the Cocoa frameworks. Learn about exciting developments in the Application Kit and other related frameworks on Mac OS X. This session will help orient you to other sessions that will cover these technologies in more detail.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

...that we will see some sort of Developer Preview of Mac OS 10.6 at WWDC.

If you look at the track sessions for the Mac OS it will say:

What's New In Objective C

Objective-C is the dynamic programming language at the heart of Mac OS X and iPhone OS application development. From its roots as a simple object-oriented superset of C to powerful new features in Leopard, the language has evolved to meet your needs. Learn how to use properties, take advantage of fast enumeration, and use garbage collection in your own development. Discover Objective-C as it is today and learn where it's headed.

What's New In Cocoa

Get an overview of the newest features and important changes in the Cocoa frameworks. Learn about exciting developments in the Application Kit and other related frameworks on Mac OS X. This session will help orient you to other sessions that will cover these technologies in more detail.

Except the Obj-C one talks specifically about Leopard. Properties, fast enumeration, etc.. are all new in Leopard. So why would they say that for 10.6?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Except the Obj-C one talks specifically about Leopard. Properties, fast enumeration, etc.. are all new in Leopard. So why would they say that for 10.6?

Look at the last part of the paragraph that I underlined.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Look at the last part of the paragraph that I underlined.

i know that during the wwdc 08 the main topic will be the iphone and its new update 1.2

but i hope they make 10.6 lion?? or whatever they call it

also they need to redo all macs

mkae looker better and more visalue atracted
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    WWDC 2008 will discuss the next major revision of OS X.

WWDC 2009 will be wrapping up the next major revision of OS X.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Anybody heard anything about the 2012 election? What will be the big topics? Apple domination? Unemployment in the rust-belt Redmond, WA area?