High-speed Wi-Fi with AirTunes?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there a way to create a top-speed Wi-Fi network that carries AirTunes?

I'm thinking of buying a MacBook Pro, but AirTunes is a key feature for me, and I'm concerned that the only router that can hook up to a stereo is the Airport Express, which gets mediocre reviews when it comes to speed (even the latest edition with 802.11n) - it seems like I should be able to find a way to get a top-speed wireless connection along with the ability to stream AirTunes.

Is there any way, for example, to rig up the Airport Express alongside a more powerful router (Time Capsule, maybe? Or a non-Apple router that networks well with a MacBook Pro and an Airport Express?), so as to beef up the speed, reliability and range while still having an AirTunes-enabled network?

Your thoughts are much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I'm streaming lossless audio to an AirPort Express, and the outgoing bandwidth peaks out at 1.2Mbps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The population density of your neighborhood along with the appliance and electronics used by neighbors will completely govern your personal experience. In most instances, wifi is quick enough for apple-lossless streaming. Sometimes it isn't. Unfortunately, you won't know until you try.

Intermittent interference can kill the listening experience without affecting the throughput much. Thus, just looking at the average required bandwidth isn't sufficient of an indicator. If the neighbor's refrigerator compressor kicks on every seven minutes, and the motor in it leaks RF in the right spectrum, the music will drop every seven minutes.