Importing TV shows and more...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Couple questions...

1. I own Family Guy on DVD and plan on ripping it to my mac so I can have them on my iPod Touch. Ripping them and then using iSquint to get them into iTunes is easy. My question comes from how iTunes catagorizes the episodes; it puts everything in as a "Movie". By doing this it just creates a LONG list in the movies folder. My question is if there is a way to get it so that iTunes recognises it as a TV show to make finding eps and navigating through the videos section easier.

2. This is tied into the first question... I have a MacBook with only a 60gb hd which makes it kinda hard to keep lots of movies, tv shows etc on it to sync to my touch. I currently have iTunes setup to automatically organize my media for me (which I really like).

What I'd like to be able to do is keep it so that iTunes organizes my music for me but I'd like to be able to organize my videos on my own so I can keep them stored on an external drive so as not to bog down my hd.

Can this be done? If so how?

Thanks in advance for any help you're able to provide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I ripped all three seasons of Arrested Development and put them on my iPhone, so I think it would be the same procedure.

Do your ripping (I used Handbrake). Once they are in iTunes, right click and select Get Info. If I remember correctly, it's the 3rd tab which defines it as a Movie. You should be able to change that to TV Show. If you fill out the season, episode number...etc information correctly, iTunes should properly sort them for you.

As far as having your music library in one place and movies in another, you have to NOT have iTunes automatically organize the library. Then to add a movie or tv show, just select Add to Library, then navigate to where the movie is (mine are on an external drive).

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

As far as having your music library in one place and movies in another, you have to NOT have iTunes automatically organize the library. Then to add a movie or tv show, just select Add to Library, then navigate to where the movie is (mine are on an external drive)...

You can have iTunes organize the material, you just need to uncheck "copy to iTunes library when importing" option. You can then just drag/drop the file into iTunes, which will automatically place in the Movies section.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Firstly thanks for the tip on getting my shows to show as TV shows. Worked perfectly.

As far as the second post... Is it possible to make that option only apply to movies? Because i really like just being able to drag and drop my music in there and have itunes copy and file it for me then I just delete the original file.

However what you described is exactly what I'd like to be able to do with my tv shows / movies.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b0xhunter View Post

Firstly thanks for the tip on getting my shows to show as TV shows. Worked perfectly.

As far as the second post... Is it possible to make that option only apply to movies? Because i really like just being able to drag and drop my music in there and have itunes copy and file it for me then I just delete the original file.

However what you described is exactly what I'd like to be able to do with my tv shows / movies.

Use the 'option' key to modify the behavior when you drag in something new. I have it turned off and then hold the option key when I have new music to add. The + sign appears when its going to copy, rather than use a reference.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    I have been using MetaX to add tags to my Handbraked shows and it works great. It has presets so you can set up all the common settings for a TV season and it apply it to each RIP, only changing what you need to like title, episode #, etc.

-Keith
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Awesome. Thanks guys.