Memory Sticks and MacOS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone know if MacOS X now supports the Sony PC Card reader for Memory Sticks yet? I heard that PC card support was improved with 10.1.2 but have heard nothing about it working with this card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    danieldaniel Posts: 50member
    I am not sure about the MS PC Card reader but I know the USB one is, see <a href="http://www.apple.com/iphoto/compatibility/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/iphoto/compatibility/</a>. I also heard that the USB MS Reader/Mouse works too.

Daniel

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: Daniel ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 11
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    I bought one from Jessops (the biggest camera store in the UK) - just the own brand one - and it works perfectly.

The sony ones are very expensive, and the mouse with one built in is just stupidly priced IIRC, but it works.

I will be getting the new USB card reader with my DCR PC 120 when I get it (my PC 100 was stolen ), and I will post back here if it works.

low-fi
  • Reply 3 of 11
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    hi,

the plain (blue) memory sticks are supported, and have been from day 1.

my question is: are magic gate read/write devices supported yet under os x, and if they are, does anyone know if you can copy mp3 onto(white) magic gate memory sticks? as in, can you just drag and drop them onto the magic gate from yr hard drive?

thnx

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: niji ]

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: niji ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by niji:

<strong>hi,

the plain (blue) memory sticks are supported, and have been from day 1.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

They were not supported via the PC Card reader though because PC Card support was non-existant until 10.1.2.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by low-fi:

<strong>I bought one from Jessops (the biggest camera store in the UK) - just the own brand one - and it works perfectly.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you mean the PC Card reader or just some USB reader? I know the USB readers work but I'm wondering about the PC Card reader as PC Card support has been non-existant in OS X until very recently.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    sorry. I should have explained a bit more carefully. When I said that the blue memory sitcks have been supported since day 1, I was referring to when they are in a Sony digital camera. Sorry for the confusion.

Anybody know if the white magic gate stciks can be copied to from OS X?

Thnx
  • Reply 7 of 11
    double post

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: niji ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    [quote]Originally posted by apple.otaku:

<strong>

Do you mean the PC Card reader or just some USB reader? I know the USB readers work but I'm wondering about the PC Card reader as PC Card support has been non-existant in OS X until very recently.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My bad. I have a USB card reader. I see what you are all on about now...

low-fi
  • Reply 9 of 11
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Doh, I don't have a PC card reader. Just USB, and my camera.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ok. I think we are all getting on the same page on this one now.

blue sticks: sony made usb reader: no support when os x first came out. now they are supported. drivers for X are available.

white sticks (these are magic gate ones, and have special copy sateguards built in and are designed for music copied to it from a limited range of devices): these are still not supported by sony's own proprietary usb made reader device(s).

my question is: does any one know of a way to copy mp3 music on these white sticks?

thnx!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by niji:

<strong>ok. I think we are all getting on the same page on this one now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, I am talking about the PC Card reader from Sony that you stick into the PC Card slot on your PowerBook. It essentially gives you a Memory Stick slot in your PowerBook.