Successive Mac OS X 10.5.3 builds continue from Apple

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Mac maker Apple Inc. continued this week with a somewhat unusual practice of providing outside developers with successive builds of its next operating system update, Mac OS X 10.5.3, fairly early in the testing cycle.

The company has historically followed a pattern in which it would alternate between releasing external and internal builds, where successive external seeds -- those to outside developers -- would only occur in the days leading up to the software's intended release.

Development of Mac OS X 10.5.3 has not been following that course. Instead, Apple has externally seeded three successive builds of the OS update to its vast developer community, beginning with build 9D10 late last month and continuing on through build 9D12 on Thursday.

According to people familiar with 9D12, the build tacks on 17 additional fixes and code corrections to a list now over 110 deep. Particular emphasis appears to have been placed on Spaces, they say, where new tweaks target the feature's preference pane, hot keys activation, and general functionality.

In addition, Apple is also said to have patched holes in Kerberos authentication, the .Mac preference pane, AirPort, and Network Setup Assistant.

In a set of developer notes reported to have accompanied the latest build, Apple made no changes to the system components in which it seeks developer feedback. That list still spans 25 items long and includes core components such as AirPort, Automator, Audio, Graphics, iCal, Mail,. Rosetta, Spaces, Spotlight, and Time Machine.

Though Mac OS X 10.5.3 is presumed for a release sometime in the next 7 weeks, the rapid and successive seedings suggest the update could hit sooner than later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    What I want to know is: Are there functional HP printer drivers in it?

Ever since upgrading to Leopard, HP's drivers have been absolute trash. On my DeskJet at home, pages abort with USB communication errors after 1/3 of a page. On a LaserJet 8000 at work, the driver spews hundreds of megabytes for even simple pages, causing the printer to abort the job with an out-of-memory error.

The GutenPrint drivers have no such problems (so it's not an OS or printer issue), but those drivers have very bad halftoning/dithering/color-matching algorithms, so photos come out looking terrible.

I've sent bug reports to Apple and HP, but they never write back, so I have no clue if there is any intention to fix these bugs. (And if they're not fixed by the time I use up my ink cartridges at home, I'm going to get a new printer from a different manufacturer.)
  • Reply 2 of 50
    charelcharel Posts: 93member
    I hope they fix the DVD player, which in its current iteration sucks big time
  • Reply 3 of 50
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    OSX was pretty stable from the word go and while 10.5.1 was a quick fix and 10.5.2 properly addressed most of the unavoidable issues you get following the launch of a new OS, 10.5.3 really should be the update that puts Leopard on course to be 99.99999999% reliable.

I am using Windows Vista and still more than a year after it was launched, it doesn't work properly or crashes when various things happen.

Hardly suprising that major corporations are beginning to evaluate the Mac Platform.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    Although Leopard came with HP drivers for my HP PSC3180, the scanner would not work with them, or the previous drivers that HP had included in the package. A search on HP's site showed that they released new drivers for that unit (and others) back in December.

Have you checked HP's site for updated drivers?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

Ever since upgrading to Leopard, HP's drivers have been absolute trash. On my DeskJet at home, pages abort with USB communication errors after 1/3 of a page. On a LaserJet 8000 at work, the driver spews hundreds of megabytes for even simple pages, causing the printer to abort the job with an out-of-memory error.

The GutenPrint drivers have no such problems (so it's not an OS or printer issue), but those drivers have very bad halftoning/dithering/color-matching algorithms, so photos come out looking terrible.

I've sent bug reports to Apple and HP, but they never write back, so I have no clue if there is any intention to fix these bugs. (And if they're not fixed by the time I use up my ink cartridges at home, I'm going to get a new printer from a different manufacturer.)

• Reply 5 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by serpicolugnut View Post

Although Leopard came with HP drivers for my HP PSC3180, the scanner would not work with them, or the previous drivers that HP had included in the package. A search on HP's site showed that they released new drivers for that unit (and others) back in December.

It's not just HP. On the Apple discussion forums there is a bunch of threads regarding how a number of Airport printers stopped working after the 10.5.2 update and/or the latest security patch. One solution seems to be to install the printer as an IP printer instead of a Bonjour one. After hours of trying it worked with my new Samsung CLP-300. But I still hope that the Airport fixes included in 10.5.3 address this as well.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charel View Post

I hope they make my display wake up when my MBP wakes up. Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charel View Post

Can you detail HOW DVD Player sucks? I've had no problems with it. Like to hear your experience.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    cavallocavallo Posts: 57member
    I really hope this update fixes <insert random obscure pet-peeve here>. It's appalling that they've allowed <insert random obscure pet-peeve here> to go on so long. Does any <insert random schmoe under NDA here> know if <insert random obscure pet-peeve here> will be fixed, because this really is the last <insert random fibrous tube here>!
  • Reply 9 of 50
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post

I really hope this update fixes <insert random obscure pet-peeve here>. It's appalling that they've allowed <insert random obscure pet-peeve here> to go on so long. Does any <insert random schmoe under NDA here> know if <insert random obscure pet-peeve here> will be fixed, because this really is the last <insert random fibrous tube here>!

Hopefully you can tell the difference between a "pet peeve" and a documented problem.

-random shmoe
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Hopefully you can tell the difference between a "pet peeve" and a documented problem.

-random shmoe

One persons pet peeve is another persons documented problem.......

Personally, I have pet documented problems!
  • Reply 11 of 50
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    My peeves:

Bring back the old video preview pane in column view. It was much more functional than the current one with the "play" symbol in the center. There was a volume control and a position slider so I could scrub through the video. Even the stupid Quick Look has no volume slider, only a mute button. Apple, stop treating us like children who can't be trusted with "complicated" controls and must be given only the very simplest interfaces.

Have they fixed the damn problem that Disk Utility has with USB drives yet? I've got four different brands and sizes of USB drives from 400GB to 750GB and Leopard's Disk Utility won't work with any of them.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    boomerhboomerh Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mac maker Apple Inc. continued this week with a somewhat unusual practice of providing outside developers with successive builds of its next operating system update, Mac OS X 10.5.3, fairly early in the testing cycle.

The company has historically followed a pattern in which it would alternate between releasing external and internal builds, where successive external seeds -- those to outside developers -- would only occur in the days leading up to the software's intended release.

Development of Mac OS X 10.5.3 has not been following that course. Instead, Apple has externally seeded three successive builds of the OS update to its vast developer community, beginning with build 9D10 late last month and continuing on through build 9D12 on Thursday.

According to people familiar with 9D12, the build tacks on 17 additional fixes and code corrections to a list now over 110 deep. Particular emphasis appears to have been placed on Spaces, they say, where new tweaks target the feature's preference pane, hot keys activation, and general functionality.

In addition, Apple is also said to have patched holes in Kerberos authentication, the .Mac preference pane, AirPort, and Network Setup Assistant.

In a set of developer notes reported to have accompanied the latest build, Apple made no changes to the system components in which it seeks developer feedback. That list still spans 25 items long and includes core components such as AirPort, Automator, Audio, Graphics, iCal, Mail,. Rosetta, Spaces, Spotlight, and Time Machine.

Though Mac OS X 10.5.3 is presumed for a release sometime in the next 7 weeks, the rapid and successive seedings suggest the update could hit sooner than later.

I thnk you should not let three successive updates lull you into thinking there will be a quick release of 10.5.3. That is because there is a reason for these. Trust me, it'll be quite a while.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by serpicolugnut View Post

Yes. There are no updated drivers for a DeskJet 842c, and the LJ-8000 is using the updated drivers.

Speaking of the LaserJet, I also noticed that HP is only shipping a PostScript driver for Leopard. Under Tiger, I was able to download and install a PCL-6 driver, which seems to print a lot faster.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:

Maybe if you write "John Mayer here," they will write you back, haha.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Hardly suprising that major corporations are beginning to evaluate the Mac Platform.

So they can load Windows on Macs and say "See, we use Macs"?
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ydnar600 View Post

Can you detail HOW DVD Player sucks? I've had no problems with it. Like to hear your experience.

Opening it freezes PowerBooks.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....91685&tstart=0
  • Reply 17 of 50
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:

I've had a couple different home HP DeskJet printers & they have always had crap drivers, not just for OS X but also for Windows. The issues with USB used to plague me as well but it had nothing to do with Leopard cause the issue existed in Windows too.

I think there are 2 factors that could be causing this. 1, Apple uses Post Script & the DeskJet line of HPs actually use a special format that is neither standard PCL nor PS compliant. To get all the features of your DeskJet is impossible unless you have HP's junk software running on your computer. 2, Many Windows shops have setup all their printers with PCL emulation instead of PS. The symptom of this when printing from a Mac is that the print job spits out tons of garbage & blank pages. I wonder if you are a victim of this with that HP at your work, it may be set to use PCL emulation.

If you are looking for a good home printer that works flawlessly with your Mac get a Lexmark, I ditched my last HP for a wireless Lexmark InkJet & the thing rocks! Apple used to give away Lexmark printers with their Macs but now they do HPs. I don't know why everyone likes HPs so much, I think they've just saturated the market. When it comes to print quality I've not noticed any difference & other brands actually support true Post Script in their low end models.

Hope this info helps, the HP thing drove me mad for a long time.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Opening it freezes PowerBooks.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....91685&tstart=0

I've noticed a lot of people with PPC have had many Leopard issues. We had a PPC file server that died after going Leopard. We aren't really using it all that much though since in our experience my of the PPCs we were using had random issues anyway. Seems like as Apple drew near phasing out PPC that they started having a lot of quirks, wonder if the chip manufacturers were letting quality slide because they knew they were being phased out.

Anyone else experienced this, more issues with PPC I mean?
  • Reply 19 of 50
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    My MBP keeps scanning for connections even though I am connected... my USB airdisk doesn't work.... my printer doesn't work over my AEBS... \: wow:
  • Reply 20 of 50
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

I've noticed a lot of people with PPC have had many Leopard issues. We had a PPC file server that died after going Leopard. We aren't really using it all that much though since in our experience my of the PPCs we were using had random issues anyway. Seems like as Apple drew near phasing out PPC that they started having a lot of quirks, wonder if the chip manufacturers were letting quality slide because they knew they were being phased out.

Anyone else experienced this, more issues with PPC I mean?

Sad to hear you are having problems. It would seem to me that from my (admittedly unscientific) trawling the 'net that people are having MORE problems since Apple moved to Intel than they ever did from PPC. Maybe it is just because they have sold so many desktops and notebooks in the last few years than they ever did previously, that the law of averages kicked in and more people are having problems.

I note that Jeremy from iLounge fame said that he believed people with PPC chips have less problems with Safari than the new Intel people.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/bac...is-hung-again/

Of course all the people who are happy with their Macs don't usually write in to boards and say so.. you usually only hear from people who have problems but that is human nature really.

As a long time Mac user I am wondering whether to go out on a limb and recommend Macs to people after all those Macbook and iMac problems of late. Sigh

I still believe that Microsoft is an agent of the Devil.. (but that's just me )