Hmph. Well, that explains that.....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
One of the touted features of the huge updater to Office:Mac v.X coming up next month was antialiased text, which is a feature we all know Carbon apps aren't yet privy to. Because of this, we assumed that 10.2(.5?) would be released shortly after WWDC or at MWNY where the Carbon API would be updated to take advantage of the smooth-text rendering. However, according to Think Secret, Apple will be releasing yet another dot-hundredth of an upgrade before the big one hits that is already testing internally. Apparently, 10.1.5 incorporates Carbon antialiasing among other improvements. Given Apple's track record, I'm assuming that pretty much means that 10.2(.5?) won't be released until the end of the summer..... like two days before the end. This should be well worth it then, meesa thinks, though I can't help feeling a bit impatient. Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    That's what I figured anyway. Not necessarily about the .x update -- that's good news to me -- but about the release date of 10.2. Of course, I have big expectations for 10.2 so it would be in their best interest to make it polish the hell out of it and probably introduce new features.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Will 10.2 be a free update for 10.1 users?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I don't really care, either way. There really isn't much I'm dying for in 10.2, but I wouldn't mind the nicer antialiased text in Carbon (though I swear that I thought it already had antialiasing.. in fact I'm sure Carbon already has antialiasing. what's up with that?).

[quote]Originally posted by sjpsu:

<strong>Will 10.2 be a free update for 10.1 users?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm sure. Plus $20 shipping and handling.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    carbon apps can be coded to have ATSUI anti-aliasing. Toolbars/menu bars/most things with stripes behind it get it for free, but text entry/workspaces don't- it currently requires code that breaks OS 9 compatibility.

With 10.2, all carbon apps will AUTOMATICALLY get the nice font smoothing. No extra code required.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Not true. If the APIs change within Carbon, all apps will have to be tweaked to hook into said API to get antialiased text. Not a big deal. Microsoft has already done it with Office X (which will be released in a month or so.)
  • Reply 6 of 32
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by sjpsu:

<strong>Will 10.2 be a free update for 10.1 users?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope so.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

I hope so.</strong><hr></blockquote>

...but I doubt it...
  • Reply 8 of 32
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    If it isn't free I wont pay for it...lets see if they go to 10.9 at $20 per CD update...that's $309 total investment in X...and you thought Windows was expensive. Okay so it still is, but damn, I'm not paying 180 bucks on upgrades to my OS...
  • Reply 9 of 32
    jdradenjdraden Posts: 89member
    [quote]<strong>If it isn't free I wont pay for it...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Also, if it is free you wont pay for it
  • Reply 10 of 32
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    10.1.5 does have carbon AA. Based on the fact that 10.1.5 will be coming out in May I would put 10.2 (10.5) around July/August. Considering it is going to be nearly a year since the 10.1 update once its released I would say the next major rev of 10.2 (10.5) will be a pay upgrade that brings some significant new features and improvements.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Er, 9.0 --&gt; 9.2.2 = free updates, correct? No reason to believe 10.0 --&gt; 10.2 wouldn't be either.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    r. h.r. h. Posts: 56member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Er, 9.0 --&gt; 9.2.2 = free updates, correct? No reason to believe 10.0 --&gt; 10.2 wouldn't be either.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahhh.... but the difference is that all of the updates to 9.x have been exclusively for maintainence purposes -- it's yesterday's OS. Personally, I think it's perfectly acceptable for Apple to charge for major changes to tomorrow's OS (MacOS X, of course).
  • Reply 13 of 32
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    About the MS Office update...

Relationships between MS and Apple are on the ropes at the moment. I've become aware that Apple is polling users for feedback about a) Microsoft, b) the importance of Microsoft software, c) running OS X apps on Windows, and d) running Mac OS X on a PC. I'm not sure if Apple is going to do either of C or D, but I'm led to believe by this alone that Apple is seeing the importance of M$ software to their customers. There's also the happening of the Apple ad about Mac OS X and the UNIX underpinnings that was placed in a *nix-oriented magazine a week or a few ago in which Apple mentioned Netscape (according to Slashdot, and apparently, Gates himself called up Jobs in a fit of anger and asked him something along the lines of 'how he was going to explain the demise of Office v.X,' or so Jobs told CNN). And of course, Microsoft's contract with Apple is up, and they've been doing all of that relatively anti-PC advertising of late.

I have a serious feeling that Apple and Microsoft are preparing for an all out war again, and Microsoft is more than likely going to drop their Mac products. If there isn't already something implemented in Microsoft's OS X software that could trigger them to stop working in the event that Microsoft did such a thing to Apple, I wouldn't put it past them to issue it in an update like this. Of course it all depends on the timing, too.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    9.0.x --&gt; 9.1 = 71 MB

9.1.x --&gt; 9.2.1 = 82 MB

9.2.1 --&gt; 9.2.2 = 21.3 MB

Maintenance or not, a lot changed in each update. And I don't expect 10.2 to have too many interface improvements, especially since most of these improvements will just be reimplemented stuff lost when we migrated from 9 to X.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]Gates himself called up Jobs in a fit of anger and asked him something along the lines of 'how he was going to explain the demise of Office v.X,' or so Jobs told CNN<hr></blockquote>

Wrong version of Mac Office. The Gates-Apple threat is old hat:

Gates also denied that Microsoft ever threatened to cancel the Macintosh version of Office or that Microsoft officials ever discussed such a course among themselves. But in an E-mail to Gates in June, 1997, one company official wrote: "The threat to cancel Mac Office 97 is certainly the strongest bargaining point we have, as doing so will do a great deal of harm to Apple immediately."

from a 1998 Business Week article

<a href="http://www.businessweek.com/microsoft/updates/up81102a.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.businessweek.com/microsoft/updates/up81102a.htm</a>;

[quote]If there isn't already something implemented in Microsoft's OS X software that could trigger them to stop working in the event that Microsoft did such a thing to Apple, I wouldn't put it past them to issue it in an update like this. Of course it all depends on the timing, too.<hr></blockquote>

Thats just a little paranoid, and illegal. You think MS would be silly enough to invite the DOJ to investigate agaain by taking such blatant action. There is, and will be no war over platforms/OS's.

Now the internet may be another matter entirely.

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: cowerd ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 32
    [quote]according to Slashdot, and apparently, Gates himself called up Jobs in a fit of anger and asked him something along the lines of 'how he was going to explain the demise of Office v.X,' or so Jobs told CNN).<hr></blockquote>

Funny, but not very believable. If Gates did such a thing, even Dubya himself couldn't get in the way of an anti-trust lawsuit by the justice department. And in only 2.5 years, Dubya will be gone and a democratic attorney general will bend M$ over a barrel.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Steering this topic even further off-course, I believe that MS will keep working on Mac products (and in some respects keep them one step behind their Windows counterparts) as long as the company has the anti-trust case. MS needs Apple in the picture to at least give some credence to the idea that there are alternatives to their OS. If that ever changes, and the public shows overwhelming apathy about its monopoly power, then Macs will be dropped like a wet sack. But no sooner, not even for personal vendettas.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    ziplocziploc Posts: 41member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Er, 9.0 --&gt; 9.2.2 = free updates, correct? No reason to believe 10.0 --&gt; 10.2 wouldn't be either.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly why they may call it 10.5 instead of 10.2. System 8.5 and I believe 7.5 were both full pay upgrades.

I don't consider the $20 shipping fee a paid upgrade since you were able to get if free from various outlets. Although it is a rip-off for shipping.

zip
  • Reply 19 of 32
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by ziploc:

<strong>

Exactly why they may call it 10.5 instead of 10.2. System 8.5 and I believe 7.5 were both full pay upgrades.

I don't consider the $20 shipping fee a paid upgrade since you were able to get if free from various outlets. Although it is a rip-off for shipping.

zip</strong><hr></blockquote>

MacOS 7 = pay

MacOS 7.1 = free

MacOS 7.5 = pay

(we had 7.5.1-7.5.3v2-7.5.5 free.. what a fiasco...)

MacOS 7.6 = pay(!)

MacOS 8 = pay

MacOS 8.1 = free

MacOS 8.5 = pay

MacOS 8.6 = free

MacOS 9 = pay

MacOS 9.1-.2 = free

MacOS Xpb = pay

MacOS X = pay

MacOS X.I = pay (unless you had voucher and picked it up at a mac store)

MacOS X.II = pay (same deal as X.I), 20$

OR it will be marketed as

MacOS X.V = FULL pay (129$)

The reason I can't see it being called X.V is because it would mean that about a year after X.V was launched, Apple would have to come up with a new OS name... it would be called MacOS XI (eleven... or you could try and pronounce it "ksee" ) If they keep to .I upgrades ata time, it means Apple has the X os name for at least another 6-7 years... maybe even one .I update a year.

So... keep X name or resort to XI... or totally change the name of the OS and go back to arabic numbers (11).

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: ZO ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 32
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    GMAFB Guys. Office v.X isn't going anywhere, and neither is MS. Go to Mactopia and read Kevin Browne's interview; the relationship between MS and Apple is NOT on the ropes. If it were, Browne wouldn't have been allowed to go and say all the stuff he did. "No comment" would've been more like it.