MBP Pro Locking Up

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Posting this here in the hope that it will generate more responses.

I've been having issues with my 2006 MBP 2.33GHZ/2GB/80GB. I've long suspected it's had hard drive issues (intermittent noise and beach ball appearances are the prime reasons) and I'm wondering if this is another sign:

All will be going according to plan, and then the cursor/pointer just locks up. The system is totally frozen and has to be restarted. It happens a few times a week. I'm running a clean install of Leopard with all updates as of today. It doesn't seem to be tied to any application. Sometimes I can get Spaces to function for a few seconds, but then it all freezes permanently. I don't think it has anything to do with heat issues, as all appears normal in that regard.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Any third party hardware and drivers?

I'd go with the usual suspect. Bad RAM?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Any third party hardware and drivers?

I'd go with the usual suspect. Bad RAM?

Nope...factory installed RAM, no third party hardware.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Nope...factory installed RAM, no third party hardware.

Remove the RAM and re-insert one, then the other. Test the computer between each stick.

Just 'cause it's factory-installed doesn't mean that it hasn't failed or that it hasn't become slightly unseated.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    This might be similar to the issue I just had with my MBP (2.4 GHz/2 GB RAM/160 GB) that I purchased in December of 07. I found that my track pad and keyboard were totally unresponsive but that a usb mouse and keyboard worked. I figured out that the copper ribbon underneath the battery was slightly bowed and when pressure was put on it the keyboard and trackpad worked. Sent it into Apple Care and had it back in 3 days.

Might be related to your problem or might not be. Good luck!