A video of my day

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi. I've been thinking for the past couple of months about trying to videotape my normal day, from 8:00-to 4:00. That means 8 hours. I would rather nor change DV tapes every hour, so is their anyway to record 8 consecoutive hours without altering the recording device at all? I'm thinking memory card, but right now I realy don't know. Plus, I don't know anything about Memory card cameras. Any Insights?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Some Hard Disk cameras might be able to handle the time period if you lower the image quality setting.

You could also have two cameras and overlap the video by a couple of minutes; I used to do this to record long ceremonies. Combining them on a computer is not difficult at all... just find a lull in the action and switch videos.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Some Hard Disk cameras might be able to handle the time period if you lower the image quality setting.

You could also have two cameras and overlap the video by a couple of minutes; I used to do this to record long ceremonies. Combining them on a computer is not difficult at all... just find a lull in the action and switch videos.

Yeah, you could use the Hitchcock Rope trick and pan past something dark black that fills the screen, like a column or doorway, every 90 minutes or so-- then just start a fresh tape panning out of the same black area and make a cut there.

If you've got periods that are relatively stationary you could also shoot tethered to a laptop running Final Cut, and run that for as long as you have hard drive space. I've done 6 hours at a pop like that, and with a long enough firewire cable you still have some mobility.

Also, there used to be some external drives that could take data directly from a camcorder on the fly (firewire only, USB doesn't work for this), but you'd still need power for that.