Apple TV now vs. Amazon Unbox/Blu-Ray later

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I come seeking advice on a purchasing decision. For Christmas my mom gave me an Apple Store gift card that's been burning a hole in my pocket ever since. I was originally planning on using it on an Apple TV, but the more research I do the less sure I am of that decision. Basically, I want the Apple TV so I can rent HD movies and play all my music in the living room (my TiVo can only play MP3 and -- with a hack -- AAC, and even then it's a little buggy and not user-friendly).

But I'm concerned about the selection of HD movie rentals on the store. I can't find any actual list of what the HD movies are, but browsing through the store suggests to me there aren't many choices out there, and the stories I've read about Apple not meeting its goals for expanding its selection are also especially worrisome.

So lately I've been thinking.... why not just get an Airport Express now to get the music thing taken care of and then just wait for either Amazon Unbox to offer HD downloads (which I can rent and view on my TiVo), or for Blu-Ray players to come down in price and then just get my movies for that via Netflix?

I like the idea of downloading rented movies... I think this is definitely where things are headed which is why both Amazon Unbox and Apple TV appeal to me. Amazon seems to have a good selection, but I don't know if that'll be the case if/when they offer HD downloads. And that's the other thing: The Apple TV is available NOW while I have no clue when Amazon will offer HD downloads.

As for Blu-Ray, I'm going to be getting a player at some point for the movies I actually want to own, but it could be a year from now, maybe even more. Still, the quality will be marginally better (though I don't own a 1080p set). However, I'm then deprived of the ability to satisfy an instant movie craving. Instead, I'd have to wait two days to get the disc mailed to me. (Which reminds me, I guess I could also wait for that Netflix/LG box, too)

Has anyone been confronted with a similar decision? If so, what did you decide? If now, how do you think you'd handle it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The site appletvjunkie.com has lists of movies available via iTunes/appletv. They're actually doing very well with the proportion of HD movies they have, but the total numer of movies isn't up to what they projected. Hopefully it's just a delay rather than a permanent problem, and it will be like their music, where it steadily increases over time. They've only been renting for about 6 weeks, after all.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    On my home theater, the audio quality from my AirPort Express (via toslink) was not that great. tv, however, sounds excellent using the same optical cable. YMMV.

I've only rented one HD movie, and it looked surprisingly good. Renting BDs from Blockbuster Online is still a much better value, however.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

...But I'm concerned about the selection of HD movie rentals on the store. I can't find any actual list of what the HD movies are, but browsing through the store suggests to me there aren't many choices out there, and the stories I've read about Apple not meeting its goals for expanding its selection are also especially worrisome...

It's easy to blame Apple for falling behind in available content, but it's up to the studios to supply the movies to Apple, much like the iTMS. In this regard, Amazon might not be much better since they would be at the mercy of the studios as well.

If you want a wide selection of HD now, why not just go for a BR player and use Netflix?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

It's easy to blame Apple for falling behind in available content, but it's up to the studios to supply the movies to Apple, much like the iTMS. In this regard, Amazon might not be much better since they would be at the mercy of the studios as well.

If you want a wide selection of HD now, why not just go for a BR player and use Netflix?

Price, mostly. Blu-Ray players are pricey, the Apple TV is far less so, and I have an Apple gift card that will bring the price down another $50. As for Unbox, I already have the equipment for that. I do agree with your point though, that the movie studios may not treat Amazon much better either.

The price issue is why Blu-Ray is a "later" option for HD rentals. I expect it'll come down around/after next Christmas though, which isn't too bad.

Still, I've all but decided to get the Apple TV. The HD selection is nowhere near as bad as I thought (200 movies was about 150 more than I thought were available) so I think it will prove to be a worthwhile product in the future. Plus, it can also act as an Airport Express (at least in terms of music) so it performs a function both my fiancee and I really want.