iPhone software v2.0 to allow saving of web images

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Discoveries made within leaked versions of Apple Inc.'s upcoming iPhone 2.0 software update show the company is actively narrowing the gap in functionality between its mobile and computer-based applications.

The most recent example comes by way of Gizmodo, which recently discovered that the mobile version of Safari due to ship as part of the update will allow users to save web images to their handset's photo album.

"We tried and it works: just hold your finger against an image for a longer time than usual and the popup dialog will appear," the gadget site reported. Once saved, the images can be used as background images, mailed to friends, or used as custom contact icons.

Similarly, findings published last week show Apple is also working to improve the functionality of its mobile address book and iCal applications, brining them closer to spec with versions shipping on the latest Macs.

Specifically, iPhones updated with the upcoming software update will gain access to a contact search function, as well as the ability to issue iCal meeting invitations.

iPhone software v2.0 is due to ship in late June, the same time Apple plans to take the wraps off its App Store -- a new application for the iPhone and iPod touch that will serve up third-party applications that have been authorized for distribution by the Cupertino-based electronics maker.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Sweeeeet! I am so glad I waited to get an iPhone
  • Reply 2 of 22
    zwebenzweben Posts: 75member
    I would love to see "Go to URL in new window" added to that list.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    pdiddypdiddy Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Sweeeeet! I am so glad I waited to get an iPhone

I'm glad I bought mine last June. I've had the pleasure of using the best phone out there for almost a year now, and in June I get another cool feature.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I want this functionality for attachments in email as well. But this is still good news.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Touch-and-hold is a great way to add all kinds of power-features without harming the simplicity and ease of use.

I expect a copy/paste menu will be implemented similarly.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    And of course, still no sign of To Do support!
  • Reply 7 of 22
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

You beat me to it. Don't get me wrong, many of the things they are adding are either nice and or need to be part of the package but no mention of To Do support at this stage is really a bummer. And for every one else out there who is going to mention 3rd Party solutions I have one thing to say, please save your keystrokes. No matter how you try to spin it, Task lists are a core function of a smart phone/planner and need to be there in the base software from the manufacturer.

--Dave
  • Reply 8 of 22
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:

It's a bit maddening to see all these little bits being added. Yet the simplest smartphone feature is nowhere to be found. To Do, Copy Paste, Sync Notes.... \
  • Reply 9 of 22
    phlakephlake Posts: 91member
    If I had to guess, these features, possibly sans copy/paste, could easily be added with additional applications. So far, the only apps that have been updated are those which relate directly to the enterprise features: Exchange with mail, Exchange with iCal, and probably some updates to Safari for all of the wireless updates.

Todo support could easily be added as a secondary application, and notes syncing would usecurrent iTunes based protocols, and therefore don't need the extensive testing of the enterprise community.

I'msure that Apple does not want to show all of its cards too early.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    mimicmimic Posts: 72member
    But what about the ability to carry files around with me?!?!?!?!? I want to be able to send this files also, AND save files from emails to this folder.

Sending iCal events is critical as well as sending files. This seems so basic.

I hope i can read Numbers files with 2.0 also....

AND I am VERY happy i bought my iPhone a while back and i WILL upgrade if they have 3G, GPS and video chat.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    danukdanuk Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Can anyone shed some light on why Apple might not have included this?

Other omissions that had no apparent reason (like editing iCal on Touch) were quietly rectified, but this has not been.

Anyone got any thoughts on where abouts up the software design hierarchy there was a decision not to include a ToDo app? I cannot think of a particular strategic reason why Apple might not want to include it.

As an aside, how hard would it be to develop a widget for Mac and an app for App Store that synced on connection?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    delanydelany Posts: 51member
    Quote:

But what about the ability to carry files around with me?!?!?!?!? I want to be able to send this files also, AND save files from emails to this folder.

Yes - would be more like rubbing salt in the wound than a cool new thing if they just add the slightly underwhelming ability to save images from the internet without the ability to save other files - essentially the same feature but far more useful.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Amen! Like another post mentioned, it's befuddling that one of the most universal features found in smartphones and most mobile phones, a To-Do list, is completely absent on the iPhone and any known future plans.

I'm sure some 3rd-party will develop an application but I'm sure it will cost us. Plus, it's ridiculous for Apple to ignore this feature...especially one engrained in iCal since its inception.

(Perhaps since the iPhone doesn't have a To-Do, the iPhone developers are unaware it's a task on their features list!!!)

/
  • Reply 14 of 22
    gizmo-xlgizmo-xl Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post

Amen! Like another post mentioned, it's befuddling that one of the most universal features found in smartphones and most mobile phones, a To-Do list, is completely absent on the iPhone and any known future plans.

I'm sure some 3rd-party will develop an application but I'm sure it will cost us. Plus, it's ridiculous for Apple to ignore this feature...especially one engrained in iCal since its inception.

(Perhaps since the iPhone doesn't have a To-Do, the iPhone developers are not aware it's a task on their features list!!!)

/

Could they just create another type of entry in iCal called a todo then we would not need a new application at all. You could see your apt. and todo's all in the same place and anything not done on todays list gets moved to the next day.

• Reply 15 of 22
    hypermarkhypermark Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMiC View Post

Sending iCal events is critical as well as sending files. This seems so basic.

I hope i can read Numbers files with 2.0 also....

AND I am VERY happy i bought my iPhone a while back and i WILL upgrade if they have 3G, GPS and video chat.

I think that you hit the nail on the head. To the extent that Apple correctly gets that the iPhone (iPod touch) is best optimized as a device where input is less keyboard focused and more touch focused, there are all sorts of wonderful ways that the device could become my information archive (and sync back to PC via iTunes/iPhoto, etc?).

The game is all about capturing and maintaining consumer attention, and becoming indispensable. If my music, my photos, my contacts, my emails and my information all live on this device, it is pretty indispensable relative to the various tasks I perform over the course of the day.

Ala nagromme's comments, I keep imaging a 'touch stroke' set of functions that becomes this UI model's equivalent of the right click. Could support a lot of the basics (copy/paste) but also a lot of application specific or even hot spot specific functions.

Food for thought.

Mark

--

Read: iPhone SDK - Mobile Reasons for Optimism

http://thenetworkgarden.com/weblog/2...e-reasons.html
  • Reply 16 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Not to be a pain, but are people getting exited here about the fact that a major software revision will have new features? Its kinda a given in the industry.

What I want to see in 2.0 is not minor features but a major overhaul. Sure being able to save images is important as would be whole web pages. Frankly though I want the iPhone version of Safari updated to take advantage of of many of the features the latest version for the desk top does. Further Apple needs a solution for Flash Video. That doesn't mean support for the bug ridden Flash, but simply a way to play flash videos in the Browser.

In any event version 2.0 really needs a common storage area so that all apps can access data stored publicly. From what I've been hearing it sounds like the sandbox that the apps will be allowed to work in will be just a little to restricted.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    _ _ _ _ & _ _ _ _ _.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

_ _ _ _ & _ _ _ _ _.

cars&women?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    How about saving login details at websites, I've got a generated passw for certain accesspoints around town, I cant change the password and it's really complicated to enter every time I want to use those AP's.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

_ _ _ _ & _ _ _ _ _.

Rock & Roll

Do I win a prize now or something?