New mac user having trouble with Office

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've just bought my very first mac, and of course all my troubles have been with Office 2008 for Mac.

I sorted out the cranky fonts issue, but now I'm getting trouble with Word that I can't seem to figure out.

Every time I try to save a document, I get an error saying:

"A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted and not defective"

If I try saving it as another version of office (say 2004), it actually crashes the program. I've tried deleting my normal file and letting Word make a new one, but it doesn't help. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by katharos View Post

Every time I try to save a document, I get an error saying:

"A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted and not defective"

If I try saving it as another version of office (say 2004), it actually crashes the program. I've tried deleting my normal file and letting Word make a new one, but it doesn't help. Any thoughts?

katharos, you didn't mention which Mac you have, or if it meets the minimum requirements for Office 2008:Mac. Have you gone into Word preferences, under Personal Settings and checked File Locations? Just a thought. I haven't experienced this anomaly on my iBook G4 or my Intel iMac. Hopefully you've resolved this frustrating dilemma by now \?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I've got a brand new Mac Mini (the lower model).. and I would hope it meets the minimum requirements!

I did check under preferences, but I wasn't sure what I should do there?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    It sounds like it is going to the install disk for some reason. Maybe everything did not get installed when you installed Office? Also I remember hearing that there were some problems with installing the first versions of Office 2008 when it came out. Go to the MS help pages and see what they say and install problems and their affects. There has been at least one update to Office.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

I've got a brand new Mac Mini (the lower model).. and I would hope it meets the minimum requirements!

When you go to open a file (File / Open), in the resulting selection dialog box, what directory does it show by default? Mine displays the Document folder on my Macintosh HD.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    It shows the Desktop when I try to open something, which is fine by me.

I've had someone suggest that I should avoid mounting it as an image...I'm not even sure what that means!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

It shows the Desktop when I try to open something, which is fine by me.

I've had someone suggest that I should avoid mounting it as an image...I'm not even sure what that means!

I'm assuming you went through the Office installation procedure, and told it to install on your Macintosh HD (internal hard disk drive)? If this is true, then it's odd that it would show the Desktop (instead of Documents folder) when you try to open something. Do this - create a test document, when you go to save it (and you can give it whatever name you like), change the location to Documents and let us know the results?