Installing OS X? :::

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
was wondering.....

if you put in a new hard drive, how does the mac bios/system recognize there's a new drive, and if you want to install os x, by putting the CD in the drive, will it automatically start installing it?

thanks!!

[finally made the switch, and before I get the mac, i would like to know how to rip it apart & re-do it, getting it refurbished]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Q1: If it's properly connected, it just does. No need for BIOS configs (probably not even possible to reconfigure, at least to my knowledge).

Q2: If your computer doesn't boot from CD automatically at startup, try holding down the "c"-key @ startup. After that you DO have to click a few aqua-buttons and answer some questions, but I promise you it's no big deal.

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: Whyatt Thrash ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    If you got a brand new drive, the first thing you probably need to do is format it. Formatting it basically configures how data is going to be distributed around the drive because Macs use a format different from PCs (Macs use HFS+ or UFS whereas Windows-based PCs typically use FAT32 or NTFS).

To format it, simply plug it in the Mac and reboot from the Mac OS X Install CD by holding down the 'c' key on your keyboard. When the CD finishes loading, you will get a basic installer screen. From there, go to the Installer menu and choose "Open Disk Utility..." A window will open with a list of connected drives in a column on the left. Select your new drive, click the "Partition" tab on the right, decide if you want to split it into partitions (remember that on Macs partitions are permanent until you reformat again), and click the "OK" button.

When it's finished formatting, close the Disk Utility window to return to the Installer. Now, simply click Continue to go through the regular installation procedure.

Oh, and Welcome to Macintosh!

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    is the "c" key the control key, or the actual C key on the keyboard?

is there an apple bios? [like on pcs]

does it matter what program you use to format your drive? [matter = as in performance of the drive]

is the partition un-changable, even using os x? [or are you referring to os x?]

also, if I use a ata-133 card instead of the onboard ide, will the system detect the card first, and then the hd okay?

*woo* that's a lotta questions

hopefully my installation will go cleanly ........
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>is the "c" key the control key, or the actual C key on the keyboard?

is there an apple bios? [like on pcs]

does it matter what program you use to format your drive? [matter = as in performance of the drive]

is the partition un-changable, even using os x? [or are you referring to os x?]

also, if I use a ata-133 card instead of the onboard ide, will the system detect the card first, and then the hd okay?

*woo* that's a lotta questions

hopefully my installation will go cleanly ........</strong><hr></blockquote>

1) The "C" key, that's the one between "X" and "V".

2) Nope. OS X is smart enough to configure itself and detect attached hardware.

3) Probably not.

4) Once you partition it, you will have to reformat it to change it's size.

5) No idea. Maybe someone else will know.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member