Get Imac Now Or Wait Till Updates??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I AM THIKING OF GETTING AN IMAC BY THE END OF APRIL BECUASE THAT IS WHEN MY BIRTHDAY IS AND I MA GETTING AN IMAC FOR MY BIRTHDAY.

I HEARD IT BEEN AROUND 225 DAYS (DONT QUOTE ESTIMATE) SINCE THE LAST IMAC UPGRADE.

I ALSO WILL BE ABLE TO USE IT ONLY UNTILL END OF JUNE BECUASE THEN I GO TO CAMP FOR 2 MONTHS

SO I AM WONDERING IS IT WROTH THE WAIT

IF I GET AN IMAC NOW IT WILL BE THIS:

from reading all of ur post and comments i have change the option to now this:

2.4ghz 24" imac

specs:

* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 1GB memory I WOULD GET 1 EXTRA GB FROM OWC OR AMAZON.COM (+20)

* 320GB hard drive1

* 8x double-layer SuperDrive

* ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

-ADDD: GOING TO GET WIRELESS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE

Ships: Within 24 hours

Free Shipping

$1,699.00

+70

$1770

OR SHOULD I WAIT UNTILL UPDATE WHICH IN MY OPINION ANYWHERE FROM TUESDAY TO WWDC IN CALIFORNA.

IF THEY UPDATE IT, IT WILL PROBALY BE TO THE PENRYN PROCESSOR AND I THINK IT WILL BE UPGRADED TO 2.5GHZ WITH 6MB L2 CACHE LIKE THE MACBOOK PROS. I ALSO THINK THEY WILL ADD ANOTHER GIG OF RAM TO IT BECUASE EVERYTHING FROM APPLE ALMOST HAS IT EXCEPT MAC MINIS.

SO I THINK THESE WILL BE THE SPECS FRO THE 24"

-2.5GHZ PENRYN C2D WITH 6MB OF L2 CACHE UPDATE

-2 GB OF 800MHZ RAM UPDATE

-500GB HDD UPDATE

-512 NVIDEA GRAPHICS CARD UPDATE

-LED SCREEN UPDATE

-AND IT WILL ALSO BE MAYBE LIKE SHAP LIKE THE MACBOOK AIR WITH THE SIDES CURVED AND VERY THIN AT ITS THINEST POINT BUT I DOUBT THIS ON

SO DO U THINK I SHOULD GET THE 24" THEY HAVE NOW OR WAIT UNTILL SEPTEMBER TO GET A BETTER ONE

REASON

-I DOUBT I COULD BENEFIT FROM 2.5GHZ BECUASE 2.4GHZ TO ME IS ENOUGH BECUASE IM NOT THAT PRO

- I DONT MIND REALLY PAYING LIKE 20 DOLLARS FOR AN EXTRA GIG OF RAM

- I HAVE A 500GB EXTERNAL HDD AND I ONLY USED LIKE 100GB IN 3 YEARS

-AND I DOUBT THEY WILL DO THE LAST TWO

IS IT WORTH IT TO WAIT TILL THEY UPDATE IT OR GO FOR THE GOLD AND GET IT NOW??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS ON WHAT SHOULD DO

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Wait, or we'll have to hear you complain about how Apple refreshed their line-up x number of days after you bought one
  • Reply 2 of 18
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    I think that you are hoping for too much in the update. I would guess a 2.5 to 2.6 processor with 1 GB RAM, the current HD size, no LED display. There might be a GPU update, but I think that it is just as likely to stay the same. I also doubt there will be any noticeable changes to the enclosure.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Wait, or we'll have to hear you complain about how Apple refreshed their line-up x number of days after you bought one

haha funny

i think i will get it soon becuase i really wont need the eextra .10ghz and i can pay 20 dollars for an extra gig of ram

also the hdd space wont be enough so i think i am good

but

any one with othe rcomments please replay and post them
  • Reply 4 of 18
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdhockeyfan424 View Post

* 1GB memory I WOULD GET 1 EXTRA GB FROM OWC OR AMAZON.COM (+20)

I wouldn't get an extra 1G of ram. Make it a total of 4GB. Ram is cheap for these systems.

Keep your 1GB that comes with it though. Stick it in the iMac box. Then in the future if you have to send your system back to Apple, put the original 1GB back in the iMac, so that they can't blame any problems on the OEM ram.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I wouldn't get an extra 1G of ram. Make it a total of 4GB. Ram is cheap for these systems.

Keep your 1GB that comes with it though. Stick it in the iMac box. Then in the future if you have to send your system back to Apple, put the original 1GB back in the iMac, so that they can't blame any problems on the OEM ram.

thanks for the tip u gave me to keep the memory.

but i think what i will do is get the 24" one now.

i will upgrade soon to 2 or 4 but when i get it i will see it and how it performs
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Wait for the update or you'll be kicking yourself later. I have the current 2.4 24" imac at work with 2 GBs or RAM and I love it. So much so that it really makes me hate going home and using my Vaio desktop. At least I have my MBP to get me by.

I would pull the trigger now on the 24" imac and know what I'm getting but I think I will wait until the next release then I can go one of two ways. Get the updated version and pay current prices or get the last version (the now current version) and save some cash. Either way the machine will be great...and I myself love the glossy screen.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    if You Want To Buy One Now You Can, But If You Really Want An Imac With Those New Features You Should Wait For The Update

sorry i couldn't help myself....
  • Reply 8 of 18
    IMO, any update in the near future will be rather minor, so minor that an average user wouldn't notice the difference and thus no need to kick yourself over getting what is a very good machine now. With computers, you can always wait, thinking there is something just around the corner. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

Why so big?

We read fine.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    as hard as it might seem at the moment, I'd wait, getting it at the end of April.. then using it for ONE MONTH ONLY ie. May then going away in June for 2 months.. you might as well wait till August/September for the update (new iMac design was out last August) and get whatever the latest actually is at that time.

but the only advice worth having is,= IF you NEED it NOW then BUY it NOW. If you DON'T need it now the DON'T buy it now.

Get the money for your birthday, and put it in a high interest account for 3/4 months use the interest to buy sweets/candy
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

IMO, any update in the near future will be rather minor, so minor that an average user wouldn't notice the difference and thus no need to kick yourself over getting what is a very good machine now. With computers, you can always wait, thinking there is something just around the corner. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

Why so big?

We read fine.

sorry just wanted people to see it
  • Reply 11 of 18
    phlakephlake Posts: 91member
    Quote:

?any one with othe rcomments please replay and post them

Just for future reference, the next time you use UNNECESSARILY LARGE TEXT, you might want to consider proofreading.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:

I AM THIKING OF GETTING AN IMAC BY THE END OF APRIL BECUASE THAT IS WHEN MY BIRTHDAY IS AND I MA GETTING AN IMAC FOR MY BIRTHDAY.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS ON WHAT SHOULD DO

You could always just be patient for the next update and see what your options are. No doubt the next iMacs will have a larger capacity hard drive and various spec bumps but what really matters most is how those improvements stand in the context of Apple's other products and your particular needs. Remember, if you buy right before an update, you might end up stuck with a computer that won't seem quite so awesome by comparison.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

You could always just be patient for the next update and see what your options are. No doubt the next iMacs will have a larger capacity hard drive and various spec bumps but what really matters most is how those improvements stand in the context of Apple's other products and your particular needs. Remember, if you buy right before an update, you might end up stuck with a computer that won't seem quite so awesome by comparison.

Fantastic.

For what it's worth, I'm waiting - I suggest you do the same - the text won't go big enough for when you start complaining about getting yours a week before they up the specs.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Wait foe the update.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

HAHA classic

to the creator of this thread: were just messing with you, don't take it offensively. just don't do it again.

i agree with inkswamp
  • Reply 16 of 18
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    I posted that and forgot all about it. I was halfway expecting it to be deleted by the mods. Glad some of you got a laugh out of it.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    If you have to ask, wait.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    You need to decide if the goal is to have a machine that meets your needs, or if it's to have the latest model available.

Then, you need to explain how a new model will degrade the performance on existing models. ;o)

One good reason to wait is that new iMac models might have LED displays. That is important if you are into heavy graphics or photography because the current models have unevenly lit displays, causing uneven color across the screen. If you aren't into that, then it doesn't matter, get an existing model.

Personally, I would not pop for the 2.8 GHz model at the extra cost over the 2.4 GHz model, because the extra performance is not offset by the extra cost. YMMV