iMac EFI firmware not updating

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've done the iMac firmware update serveral times now and it has not worked. every time i check the system profiler it hasn't been done and when I go back to software update it's sitting there again saying i need to install it.

Anyone else having this issue? Have any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

I've done the iMac firmware update serveral times now and it has not worked. every time i check the system profiler it hasn't been done and when I go back to software update it's sitting there again saying i need to install it.

try shutting down the machine and turning on holding in the power button till you hear a beeping tone.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

The same thing happened to me too - what I eventually found was that an installer.app for the firmware update had been installed in my Utilities folder. I ran that, followed the instructions and it installed successfully (I forget exactly what the procedure was, I know part of it involved restarting the iMac and holding down the power button until hearing a tone, after which the installer does its thing - anyway, the instructions are there, just follow along and it should work fine). After update I confirmed the new ROM number in System Profiler.

Hope this does the trick for you.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickmini View Post

The same thing happened to me too - what I eventually found was that an installer.app for the firmware update had been installed in my Utilities folder. I ran that, followed the instructions and it installed successfully (I forget exactly what the procedure was, I know part of it involved restarting the iMac and holding down the power button until hearing a tone, after which the installer does its thing - anyway, the instructions are there, just follow along and it should work fine). After update I confirmed the new ROM number in System Profiler.

Hope this does the trick for you.

i got it. that worked out well. thanks for your help guys.