Apple offers developers weekend 10.5.3 seed

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday afternoon planted a fresh seed of its upcoming Mac OS X 10.5.3 operating system update for its developer community, asking that the software be tested thoroughly over the weekend.

People familiar with the matter say the new pre-release distribution, labeled Mac OS X 10.5.3 build 9D22, adds 15 new bug fixes to a laundry list now spanning over 170 items long.

Among the latest improvements is a fix for an issues that prevented some Mac systems from properly rejoining an AirPort wireless network after awaking from sleep.

Meanwhile, other corrections rectify delayed shutdown problems, clipping during CD or DVD sharing, and crashes while enabling System Mode.

Apple is believed to have already fixed two of its more publicized issues, including a Wi-Fi connection problem preventing the use of new MacBooks on New York state schools' wireless networks and graphics anomalies on Intel Penryn-based portable systems.

Documentation reported to have accompanied build 9D22 suggests that development of the Leopard update is rapidly winding down. Apple is said to have asked developers to focus their testing efforts on 12 core system components, down from 17 in the previous build, and 24 in the build before that.

This includes Active Directory, Back To My Mac, Mail, Spaces, and several more of the most essential underpinnings of the OS, according to those familiar with the update.

Sources speaking privately to AppleInsider in recent days have said Apple hopes to release Mac OS X 10.5.3 within the next two to three weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Can't wait for these fixes. I'm hoping they fix some of the Mail crashes that I've experience just adding attachments from my downloads folder. What's with that?
  • Reply 2 of 60
    What's "System Mode"?
  • Reply 3 of 60
    kennywrxkennywrx Posts: 141member
    Thumbs up for the shutdown/restart problem fix.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    I'm assuming this is usual for the first couple .x updates, but sure seems to be a lot of bugs.

I love Apple and having a stance of producing quality machines, but the argument that they can produce better stability because they program for specific hardware is getting thin. Why are they having graphics troubles with every hardware revision since the aluminum iMac???

Here I'm waiting to buy a new macbook or macbook pro, hoping for the big redesign in June, but wondering if something is going to be glitchy on that hardware too...
  • Reply 5 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Can't wait for these fixes. I'm hoping they fix some of the Mail crashes that I've experience just adding attachments from my downloads folder. What's with that?

Much as I would like to use MAIL I find it to behave in ways far to weird for my liking. So I installed Thunderbird almost immediately after buying my Mac. Thunderbird works well so I don't sweat MAILs issues.

In any event all OS improvements and fixes are welcome. Frankly I haven't run into a lot of issues yet.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 60
    This should be the release that makes most people completely happy with Leopard. As things stand, I'm not experiencing any of the above bugs mentioned in the article. 10.5.2 corrected my Airport issues. I love how Apple is hard at work addressing Leopard bugs.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "Sources speaking privately to AppleInsider in recent days have said Apple hopes to release Mac OS X 10.5.3 within the next two to three weeks."

I would say it sounds like they want to get it out this coming week.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

I'm assuming this is usual for the first couple .x updates, but sure seems to be a lot of bugs.

I love Apple and having a stance of producing quality machines, but the argument that they can produce better stability because they program for specific hardware is getting thin. Why are they having graphics troubles with every hardware revision since the aluminum iMac???

Here I'm waiting to buy a new macbook or macbook pro, hoping for the big redesign in June, but wondering if something is going to be glitchy on that hardware too...

My advice is to never buy first generation hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I definitely second that. This has proven to be very wise. With Apple, being an early adopter never pays.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

I definitely second that. This has proven to be very wise. With Apple, being an early adopter never pays.

If everyone did that that Apple would go out of business!
  • Reply 11 of 60
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Sounds likt something like your brother(s) or sister(s) say about you?
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Thank heavens for the thousands that do. Otherwise,there wouldn't be a second.

I hope for your siblings' sake you were the first born.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

Bull!
  • Reply 14 of 60
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:

This includes Active Directory

I sure in the @#$* hope it does! Apple loves to talk these kinds of features up, but they really screwed up AD in Leopard. This is one of those features that is essential for Apple to retain a foothold in business settings and they just dropped the ball.

It's hard for me to believe that Apple would release a major operating system update with such a fundamentally broken Active Directory plug-in, but it's even harder to believe that they've let it go this freakin' long. If they don't fix it with 10.5.3, I'm going to be one very unhappy camper. I'm getting a little disgusted with all the workarounds I have to use and the Mac users I work with are getting very impatient to step up from Tiger (where AD works almost flawlessly, I might add.)
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naphtali View Post

What's "System Mode"?

i second that... what is it???
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

If everyone did that that Apple would go out of business!

well, i don't buy Macs to keep Apple in business... i buy them cuz i want quality hardware with stable software.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Bring it on ... I am working round the clock on web site development on a an early 08 Mac Pro (i.e. not first gen.) and I am having several freezes and crashes a week. Nothing I am using is not the latest. It happens when I switch Log ins while leaving things happening in previous log ins. This is essential to me to get through the work load, I have several projects in different log ins and often have one uploading to FTP while another scanning etc. and flip between them all the time. 99% of the time this is fine but it does cause crashes (total freeze as in "You must press and hold the start button message). I do have sufficient RAM and drive space. I know this practice is probably pure cruelty to a Mac but as I say most times I get away with it. I have never lost anything yet I should add other than time and TM is working all the time too. Bleeding edge eh?
  • Reply 18 of 60
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Bring it on ... I am working round the clock on web site development on a an early 08 Mac Pro (i.e. not first gen.) and I am having several freezes and crashes a week. Nothing I am using is not the latest. It happens when I switch Log ins while leaving things happening in previous log ins. This is essential to me to get through the work load, I have several projects in different log ins and often have one uploading to FTP while another scanning etc. and flip between them all the time. 99% of the time this is fine but it does cause crashes (total freeze as in "You must press and hold the start button message). I do have sufficient RAM and drive space. I know this practice is probably pure cruelty to a Mac but as I say most times I get away with it. I have never lost anything yet I should add other than time and TM is working all the time too. Bleeding edge eh?

Running things in many different accounts might be a burden on the OS, it has to deal with multiple account settings simultaneously. Try using Spaces instead, treat each Space as a separate Log-in, your computer and Applications should run considerably faster. If you choose to go that route, quit all Apps in other accounts.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good for you! While I agree that Spaces would be a good work around, this feature (fast user switching) should work as you describe it and Apple should get a fix out. Let's hope it's with 10.5.3.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Running things in many different accounts might be a burden on the OS, it has to deal with multiple account settings simultaneously. Try using Spaces instead, treat each Space as a separate Log-in, your computer and Applications should run considerably faster. If you choose to go that route, quit all Apps in other accounts.

H thanks for the thoughts , but the reason for the way I am doing this is that each log in is dedicated to a major account and all the data and assets (documents folder, music, photo folders etc.) are that client's alone. I have just found this way easier to keep everything totally separate. It's not a matter of space, I have two 30" Cinema Displays so plenty of screen space. These days even using Pro apps I find I am using a lot of iLife stuff too and having it all dedicated to a single purpose / client is sweet. I have a sneaky suspicion USB maybe involved here, either the scanner of the TM drive. I need to do some tests switching with both disconnected.